Cpu temp

Status
Not open for further replies.

bwisdom

Baseband Member
I have a pentium extreme editon at 3.2 i checked bios and it says temp is 65c. i have tried to put a zalman heatsink in but it was too big.I used artic silver on the stock heatsink after taking the old thermal pad off. is 65 too hot and i am out of ideas on how to fix it. how long should the processor last if it is that hot and is it decreasing my performance.

At 65C, it is a bit too hot yeah. If ther Zalman didn't fit, then try getting an Thermalright XP-90. It'll fit on basically any motherboard, and it performs extremely well.

Intels 90nm CPU's run hot.

How much thermal compound did you put on, as you literally need a blob about the size of a grain of rice, as you want the metal to transfer the heat, and not the compound. The compound is there to fill up the microscopic gaps that are there between the processor and heatsink.

It will only take a couple of months off the CPU life, as it's usual life time is about a million hours. And the other hardware will go first, so it isn't really worth worring about.

But am i in danger of my processor just frying or is 65c a little hot and going to decrease the lifespan, i am going to upgrade in two years. i just built this comp, but i upgrade every two years.

If you have just applied thermal paste and it is reading 65 it should drop soon. After i fitted my aftermarket HS+F my temps rose to about 60*C but have now fallen to about 34*C idle

you may have mis applied your artic silver (too much/little). check that the fan is completly latched down. but i don't thing 60's are too high for the extreme edition.

I had the same problem with my 3.4 prescott, then i got an xp-90 heatsink with a 90mm thermaltake smart fan and AS5 and my temps stay at 38-40C idle and no more than 50-55C under load. They were around 45 idle and like yourself up to 65 under load. I got the aluminum xp90 since i wasnt sure if the 120 would fit and i didnt want the weight of the xp90 copper for a 1 degree difference. I also think the as5 is finally setting in since load temps are around 52 average now instead of 55 when i first installed. It only took me 3 tries to get the right amount of AS5 on :D !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom