Computer name removal?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi All

Back agian, ok I have followed everything that has been advised and have managed to remove some details of the previous owner but the name still appears in our documents etc

I have pasted some info below so you may understand the issue..

IE Temporary Internet Files (351 files) 2.00MB
C:\Documents and Settings\Miss Smith\Cookies\miss smith@adsfac[2].txt 168 bytes
C:\Documents and Settings\Miss Smith\Cookies\miss smith@advertising[1].txt 260 bytes
C:\Documents and Settings\Miss Smith\Cookies\miss smith@atdmt[2].txt 96 bytes
C:\Documents and Settings\Miss Smith\Cookies\miss smith@doubleclick[1].txt 83 bytes
C:\Documents and Settings\Miss Smith\Cookies\miss smith@hotmail.msn[1].txt 71 bytes
C:\Documents and Settings\Miss Smith\Cookies\miss smith@msn[1].txt 305 bytes
C:\Documents and Settings\Miss Smith\Cookies\miss smith@passport[1].txt 90 bytes
C:\Documents and Settings\Miss Smith\Cookies\miss smith@reporting.tvlicensing.co[2].txt 259 bytes
C:\Documents and Settings\Miss Smith\Cookies\miss smith@servedby.advertising[2].txt 236 bytes
C:\Documents and Settings\Miss Smith\Cookies\miss smith@[url]www.dgm2[/url][1].txt 123 bytes
C:\Documents and Settings\Miss Smith\Cookies\miss smith@[url]www.tech-forums[/url][1].txt 283 bytes
C:\Documents and Settings\Miss Smith\Cookies\miss smith@yahoo[1].txt 76 bytes
C:\Documents and Settings\Miss Smith\Local Settings\History\History.IE5\desktop.ini 113 bytes
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wbem\Logs\wmiprov.log 67 bytes

Is this due to the original install/registration and is there anyway to remove this other than re-installing xp and putting our details in during the install?

We really don't want to have to go to all that troubles of an install though and any help would be appreciated, Also, a Q from my wife " if we know the name of the previous owner, would it be wiser for us not to use our name anywhere on our products/software in case someone manages to get into our computer and search for personal information?"

Any help is appreciated..

regards
CalX

firstly, trying to change every old user name to a new user name in the registry. there would b a million entries to change with all the full file paths listed in there, also u would b changing all the file paths that windows uses to find things without changing all the file paths as well, i dont think windows would like not being able to find all the files that u changed where it thinks they are.

secondly u prolly cant erase that account as it was the one that windows was set up with. not sure on this as ive never tried to delete my own account but would seem like something ms would do.
i kno u cant delete an admin account if ur the only admin account so if the other accounts are limited accounts then that would b a problem.

third, im not understanding as to why it would keep the old user name in the file paths of files on a different users account, it should miss smith to whatever name u picked, hmmmm

4thly, i would format and reinstall just so i could say that im starting with a fresh copy that no one has messed up yet and it would most assuredly fix the problem.

5thly, i would never sell my pc or hdd without writing zeros to it first with possible personally identifiable information that could be recovered from it

6thly, if u keep ur pc updated, dont install compromising software(spyware etc.), set a strong password on all accounts including the hidden admin account that only shows up during safe mode which is always there, and lock ur pc when ur not around it if bad ppl r lurking around ur house that u dont trust, then u should b fine with setting whatever user name u want. also i dont think its gonna matter too much what ur user name is anyways whether its ur real name or not. just doing those things should keep u pretty secure regardless of user name

This shouldn't be that complex to get rid of.

Right click on my computer, click on properties. Click on the Advanced tab, then click on Settings under User Profiles.

Find the Miss Smith profile, then click delete.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom