crashing while ripping cds

Status
Not open for further replies.

neversleeps

In Runtime
hey everybody its been a little while since ive visited here but im back, i also have a problem. i have some movies on cdr's at 700mb. i like to rip um to my pc so that the cd drive doesnt have to spin for 2 hours. anyways thats not the point, the point is when i do that i can watch my free memory just continually drop the entire time til it hits about 50 megs where then it crashes and says it couldnt complete it. its like its trying to rip the whole cd to memory instead of disk space which is really pissing me off. i have 768mb of memory with usually about 4 or 5 hundred free like when i started ripping it. i can play the whole movie from the drive off the cd but not rip it. yes the cd drive acts completely normal during the process. it starts off really fast with an estimated time of 4 to 5 mins til complete til it gets about to the end where it slows down, jacks up the estimated time to a few hours and then crashes. also i have checked taskmanager to see if could see which process started hogging all the memory(i.e. explorer) but it doesnt, it hovers around 30mb during the whole process. i also tried ripping to my bro's pc from mine on our lan, that consumed memory and crashed it as well. ive tried to explain every detail i could so someone could give me an educated solution. yes i kno this will probably get solved with a format/reinstall but im trying to avoid that as it hasnt been that long since the last time i did and windows hasnt slowed down that much yet. i appreciate all of u who actually take the time to read all of this.

ur friend,
neversleeps

Go to start, control panel, system, advanced, performance settings, advanced, virtual memory, change, set it to 4096 and 4096, click set, reboot, then try to ripem. Let us know

i cant, i dont have the disk space for a 4 gig page file which seems very excessive btw. my pf is currently at a static 400 megs which ive never seen usage over 300 even while playing doom3 or ut2k4. also it was at 400 megs before when i had no problems at all ripping cds so i dont think its that. i appreciate u taking the time to answer tho, what else ya got? also, curiously, why would ripping take up memory, on the fly ripping straight to my hdd shouldnt take memory. obviously its goin to set a buffer for it but that should only b a few MBs anyways and a constant amount.

Is your hdd filled up or something? You got 60gigs....Give her a try...you never know. Do you have any other software that could interfere with your cd drive?

when your hard drive space get low that is exactly what happens (it tries to go to memory and will start acting retarded) because it is now heading to the virtual memory spot of your hard drive. Get a bigger drive or delete some files.

i have almost 6gigs on my data partition and about 3 on my windows partition. i usually let it stay around there so i can still defrag with no problems. its a 45.2 gig partition and a 7.3 for windows. i jacked my page file up to 1200MB's static and got a semi successful rip. it completed but used all but about 50 MBs of my ram but when it finished it quickly shot back up to about 500-550. i was like hmm fluke or is it actually fixed. so i deleted that file i copied and proceeded to rip again, this time i started with 510mb free of ram and it never went down, in fact when it completed i had 516, a gain of 6 mbs. so im like hmm again and take my pf back down to 400 statically and restart and attempt to rip again. it works but with another memory drop to about 50 mbs but without crashing and then shootin back up to about 550. so i delete it and try it again. this time with a 400mb pf like before when this started and i get successful non memory consuming rip just like it should b. also explorer crashes after each rip except for the last one. it seems that after it has a successful rip it fixes itself so wtf is going on or is this just another example of windows doing as it pleases while it masturbates itself off.

It seems like to me the higher the page file was, the better the rip. How many processes do you have running in taskmanager?

it didnt really rip regardless of page file size. at both sizes the first rip was messing with memory real bad but successful and the second attempt was perfect again regardless of pf size and i have 28 processes not including task manager, if i killed firefox, yahoo messenger, peerguardian, winbar, antivirus and firewall i could prolly get it down to low 20's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom