Strange HD problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

salo

Beta member
I don't think I've ever had this problem before...
I'm using my Western Digital Hard Drive as a Slave to another Hard Drive,
it boots up, and recognizes new hardware, and installs the driver fine. Under device manager, it recognizes the Hard Drive and says it is working properly.
But just going into my computer, it will not display the HD???
Any Suggestions!!

(running windows xp pro)

right click my computer and find disk manager if its in there you may need to format it. Is it a really large HD? If so you may need to install a program from the manufacturer to make it work.

i restarted the computer, still the same problem...
with the program everest it diagnosis the HD fine (all things working properly)...
the thing i noticed was with-in device manager, when i go to volumes (properties with the HD), it will not find any information when i click 'populate'. so there is no volume information...

im curious if changing the jumper will make a difference, but with it detecting everything it's curious why it will not work.

i would format, but there is a lot of data on it i need... consider this as a recovery operation.

(it is 60gb, western digital doesnt seem to have drivers for this, not sure why)

60gbs isnt a large partition.. thats a very small partition.

the limit bellow SP1 is 137gb partition. so he's fine.

since hes on XP Pro, he is definatly at least using SP1 so hes fine there too.

go to /control pannel/administrative tools/comp manager/disk manager

in there you should beable to see the newly installed Harddrive, but it just might not have a Letter assigned to it. just right click it and assign it a drive letter.

let us know if that doesn work

does the drive even have a partition???, cause even without one wouldn't it still show up in the device manager...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom