Bottleneck

Status
Not open for further replies.

waynejkruse10

Fully Optimized
If i installed a 6800gt or a 6600gt into my Athlon XP 2500 (barton) system with 768mb Ram would my processor or anything else bottleneck it?

well the barton is only what....333FSB so that's a bottleneck right there.....if your RAM is PC3200 then it's getting bottlenecked by the CPU unless you've downclocked the RAM to PC2700 so that it's running 1:1....technically I don't consider it 'bottlenecking' the GPU, but basically the GPU can only carry game performance so far and then the RAM and CPU will come into play which yours will only be able to handle so much

It'll still be a good system in which you'll be able to play games with a good amount of high settings though

Yes. There's always going to be a bottleneck somewhere. But if you installed a 6800GT there's no doubt you'd get better performance in games.

if my 2600+ (2.3ghz) can play games at high setting w/ a 5600ultra your system w/ a 2500+and 256mb more ram than me should be fine w/ a 6800GT.

exactly, i have a 33mhz fsb as well but since i run the fsb at 200mhz it runs my pc3200 at 1:1. it all works out. you could run pc3200 1:1 at 2.2ghz

That's assuming his board lets him lock the AGP bus...then yeah he could get that chip up there as long as he's cooling it well enough of course

Yes, i do have a PCI/AGP lock. I tried pumping my bus up to 400mhz and i got some odd problems.

Windows Booted Fine. I ran SuperPi and got some errors occasionly. I ran counter strike and it just closed randomly. I put my bus back to 333mhz for the time bieng. Im thinking the problem is my ram. I have 1x 512mb Stick of DDR 400 and 1x 256mb Stick of DDR 333 so when i overclock the 333mhz stick cant handle it.

Cooling wise, when i was on 400 bus it ran around 45C.

Wayne

you'd have to loosen up the timings of that PC2700 RAM and give it more voltage as well for any hopes of it following up to 200MHz....that is after all a 34MHz increase which isn't too shabby....it'd have to be somewhat decent RAM to do that, get up to 200Mhz that is

I got some PC 2700 Kingston value ram up to 3200 speeds, without more voltage. Only thing changed was CAS 2.5 to CAS 3.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom