Built new system...can't detect SATA hard drive while installing windows!

Status
Not open for further replies.

quietb05

Baseband Member
I just built a new system using a SATA150 WD hard Drive and while trying to install windows it says it cant find a hard drive. The motherboard is GIGABYTE GA-K8VM800M. Anyone know why this could be?

You need to install the drivers, you should of got a driver floppy disk with the motherboard, if not download them, and put them onto a bootable floppy.

When in windows setup (the first stage with the blue screen) at the bottom it will tell you to press F6 to install 3rd party scsi drivers, press F6 sometime on that screen. At the end of that it will give you the option to install the SATA drivers.

quietb05 said:
on the site the drivers are 6.35mb how am i supposed to put that on a floppy

You have the wrong drivers than, because SATA drivers are on a floppy.

http://www.seagate.com/support/kb/disc/faq/sata_detect.html
Here is a link that discribes the issue that you are having. And the fix for it. Unforunately those drivers are in a windows.exe format. That kinda sucks because for a new build, you need it on a floppy. Try calling gigabyte and finding out what their solution would be to get the drivers onto a floppy for OS install.

I use Seagate because they give you plenty for free tools to make all of these issues a thing of the past.

I think you could make a CD ISO image of that driver set. NOt sure if it would work though.

most of the time those things are just little installer files that'll copy it all over to the floppy for you....that or they are infact the wrong ones

I'm sure if you scoured the driver CD that came with the MOTHERBOARD, you will find the correct files that need to be put on a floppy. That download from the gigabyte site is probably ment for people using IDE harddrives with SATA onboard, whom want to install a SATA hard drive. OS is already installed.

The Driver Disk from gigabyte has to have the file for the floppy on it.
Normally it's in the VIA folders. Make sure you select the right driver for your OS.

i have scoured the motherboard cd and i know what directory the files are in ij ust dont know which files they are....the whole directory wont fit on a floppy

This is why I went IDE lol.(also because it was on sale)

Try contacting cus support and asking them which ones to copy over.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom