Anyone fluent in MIDI?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Him

Fully Optimized
Alright, this is my first attempt at this technology, and I didnt do any reseacrh. I just hit it, and hoped I would figure it out. It is suprisingly difficult. MIDI, or Musical Instrument Digital Interface. Anyone here fluent ion MIDI? CHRIS, I'm looking in your direction. I have the MIDI man, that little external green box midi interface, and it plugs in the USB port (?) so for the process of getting it working I plugged it into my keyboard. Nothing. I'm pretty sure I had the inputs and outputs plugged in right. I mean, they are color coordinated, red and black, so it should be that hard. I tried open up Acid pro and record the keyboard, but to no avail. Any suggestions? Need more information? Just ask.

Thanks

MIDI is one of the only things I dont know. I know how the interface works, but not exactly on a PC level.

Oh dammit, you were my only hope. Is there anyone else who knows MIDI? Apparently it is very difficult and quirky, but when you get all the quirks worked otu and you set it up right, I guess it works extremely well.

Chris, do you record onto a PC? What do you use? Do you just have a recorder that records directly to the PC via USB or onto a flash card and you p[lug that into the PC?

I just run a line in straight to my soundcard, but I dont use midi. Everythign I do is done on analog equipment and not PC's

Oh, your one of those people, I see. :p This is actually for my brother, but he dosent know anything about computers or midi, so I told him I would try to find out. He used to be anal about being all analog, but he realized that digital is a little bit easier and sounds a hell of a lot better.

How does it sound running a line cable straight to the microphone? What do you use then to record it, Windows audiop recording?

What exactly are you trying to do with MIDI.

you transfer it on the computer by using a com port. and you use a MIDI mixer to record. Or windows audio recorder.

I use the line in, and I take it from my mixer. It sounds ok for the soundcard however (SB Live like x-gamer 5.1 or something, emu10k1 based card).

I always wanted to try more midi, as well as learning how to play a keyboard...

Him said:
I'm trying to hook up the Midi-man that I have.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00006I5HC/ref=pd_sxp_elt_l1/103-3222034-3435007

It is similar to that. Same principle, it's a midi controller. I hook it up through a com port, thats not telling me much. A com port isnt physical.

Ok a serial port. Well it is a com port.

But anyways I can t help you. MIDI is so old. And I have no expirence in it. I only know that it involves a music keyboard, it is hooked up thru the com(serial) port, and or a MIDI port.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom