Good setup with athlon 64?

Status
Not open for further replies.

biglonstud

Beta member
I am thinking about building a computer, and I thought I would ask what you think about the following setup.(are all the parts compatible? Any parts I should get that would be more worthwhile? ect)

ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 SLI ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail

ASPIRE X-Dreamer II ATXB4KLW-BK Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case 420W Power Supply - Retail

SONY Black IDE DVD Burner Model DW-D26A BLK - OEM

Western Digital Caviar SE WD3000JD 300GB 7200 RPM Serial ATA150 Hard Drive - OEM

Logitech Elite 967234-0403 Black USB + PS/2 Wired Standard Keyboard - Retail

CORSAIR XMS 2GB (2 x 1GB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) Unbuffered Dual Channel Kit System Memory Model TWINX2048-3200PRO - Retail

Logitech MX510 931162-0403 Blue 8 Buttons 1x Wheel USB + PS/2 Optical Mouse - Retail

Microsoft Windows XP HOME Edition With Service Pack 2 - OEM

CREATIVE Sound Blaster Audigy 2 Value SB0400 8 (7.1) Channels PCI Interface Sound Card - OEM

Logitech X-530 70 Watts 5.1 Speaker - Retail

eVGA 256-P2-N376-AX Geforce 6800GT 256MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card - Retail

---------------------------------------------

Price for above items: Some where near $1350

I cant decide which Athlon 64 (939 pin) chip I should get. Any recommendations?

I also cant decide which LCD Moniter would be good. Any you would recommend?

Also, I would like it if the total cost of the computer stayed under $2000.

And, do you think the Powersupply(420W) could support the above items. Or do you think I should get a better powersupply(like 550W or more?)

Thank you.

you can't overclock well with 2 gigs of ram and since you're getting xms it looks as if you want to

No offnese bu t that's a poorly build design, nice video card though.

For starters, the motherboard. That Asus board is popular on the mainstream due to their name, and they make good board's for Intel CPU's. However Asus for AMD is crap crap crap, problems problems problems. I recomend a DFI Lanparty Ultra-D / SLI-DR in place of it.

For the PSU, you guessed right, a 420 watt will not really suffice, the minimum I would recomend is a good quality 480 watt PSU, from a company like thermaltake, antec, OCZ. Thermaltake gets my top recomendation for price however.

Last but not least for memory, 2 gig is not required and even had disadvantages. I can help you select some memory, but you should tell me if your overclocking.

And last but not least, the best to do is get a 3200+ venice core Athlon 64 from AMD, and overclock it. Your reaching FX-55 speeds easily without a problem, and with a DFI board and some decent ram almost anyone can do it.

I have never overclocked before, and I dont know if I will.(if it is pratical, then mabey I will)

I was thinking about getting 2x 1 gig sticks of ram, so that in the future, if I ever need 4gigs of ram, I wont have to through away old ram.

And what kind of cooling would you recommend?

Cooling, for an AMD system with a venice pretty much everything goes. My favourite is the Venus 12, cheap and a great cooler, + it's super small, only a pound.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom