Computer name removal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

calx

Beta member
Hi All

I have just been browsing through the threads and have found them very informative! but none to help our problem?

I was wondering if someone can assist us?

We have recently bought a pre owned computer running XP Home, when we save or send files etc, everything comes up with the previous owners details, ie.. saved to c/miss Smith/local.. or sent/c/miss smith/ etc etc,

is there anyway I can remove this info and change it to our name as my wife is giving me grief!!

Thanks in advance and keep up the good work everyone!

regards
CalX

Have you made any new users? Go into your control panel, and click the icon for user accounts. From there you should be able to make some new user accounts with appropriate names.

Hi

Yes I have and I have tried to remove it through the admin option but it says the file cannot be deleted or renamed.

Although we have our own profiles the main one (old owner) is the one that everything is named after?

when we run a pc scan etc everything is in the previous owners name?

Still stuck but thanks for your input

regards
CalX

Yes I have and I have tried to remove it through the admin option but it says the file cannot be deleted or renamed.

I really dont understand what you are saying here. Could you please ellaborate.

WARNING: Registry Hacking up ahead. I have done this exact thing myself without problems. But, it is still registry hacking, and therefore somewhat risky.

Also do this:
Right-Click "My Computer">Click Properties, then see who the computer is registered to. Highlight, and copy the name.

Then, after you have seen who it is registered to, do this:
Click Start>Click Run..., and type the following:

regedit

Then, when regedit opens up, type ctrl-f
The find window will pop up. In the text box, paste in the 'registered to' name.

Search through the whole registry, to find all of the entries with that name,and replace that with yours.

Hi

Although I have changed the profile name with the above advice the computer is still registered to Miss Smith under My Computer/properties,

I presume this is done when xp is installed originally?

I have done this because i bought an open box toshiba laptop, its under one of the threads here, i looked in the registry and changed the owners name

Thank All

That's done the trick!!

It is now as we want it,

We really do appreciate all the help from everyone and special thanks to Ankush09

We were hoping it would be something simple!

regards
CalX

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom