Looking to buy a video card

Status
Not open for further replies.
He may in the future like I said I have no clue. And my other cousins will be playing Doom, Halo, and other fun stuff. I guess I'm willing to spend $300 on a video card, is that cheaping out? The only problem is with everyone pitching in I'm on a buget of $800 and I already find myself paying for some parts out of my own pocket.

cool cousins... mine like harry potter and lame stuff like that...

anyway, what is $300 in good ol' british pounds?

id recommend gettin a mid-high end card, as they will play doom 3 and the like on low settings. my x300se (ahem, rubbish) can handle doom 3 at 800x600 on medium quality and still get 40-60fps

if your willing to spend the $300, get your self a 6800gt. if your want something that will perform just as good, go for the 6600gt.within your price range and for what u want them to be used for, these two cards offer the most.

Out of interest, (is the mainboard the card is going into) AGP or PCI-E?

Regardless, right now the GeForce 6800 GT/Ultra is pretty much your best 'bang for buck' I'd say. With GeForce 7 released, not to mention ATI's new competition due out later this year, prices are likely to drop to the very affordable bracket. My XFX* 6800 GT (AGP) served me hulluva well, overclocked like a beast too.

*The manufactuer of your nVidia card is important. A lot of people have bad things to say about XFX, but from personell experience I see them as great; I never had any issues attall with my GeForce 6. Otherwise, eVGA, BFG, Gigabyte, Leadtek are all trustworthy brands.

Just like in every one of these threads- 6600GT leadtek or eVGA.
If you got money- 6800GT leatek or eVGA.

PC Man Brian said:
I say forget about that and get the new GeForce.

My 7800 GTX set me back a cool £400 (I think it'd work out about $600+). If you can afford it, and upgrade to PCI-E also (there is no AGP version expected as of yet), then fair enough.

if this is for a christmas gift why not wait 4 months for the prices to drop even more?

DoomUK said:
My 7800 GTX set me back a cool £400 (I think it'd work out about $600+). If you can afford it, and upgrade to PCI-E also (there is no AGP version expected as of yet), then fair enough.

I understand where you're coming from.

Yeah, if it were me I'd wait until atleast early-mid november. That will give you enough time to recieve parts, build, and if any parts are faulty enough time to send them back, and possibly, if needed, get help here on TF if you needed it. By then prices on everything will drop and it will save everyone in your family some cash, as well as you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom