Will a generic PSU work with this system?

Status
Not open for further replies.

diabloII

Fully Optimized
my friend has some generic 300W PSU in his computer

he's about to get his 6800GT anyday now and his specs are

Intel 2.4Ghz
eVGA 6800GT AGP
one optical and one HDD

do you think it will be able to power that system?

oh btw, does the eVGA 6800GT AGP have a 4pin molex power connector?

Yes, the 6600GT has a 4pin molex connector, but I think its only on the AGP Version. I would say he shouldnt have any trouble running that extra video card, if the the PSU is already powering the system. But you never know. I have had good and bad luck with "free" case PSU's. You can always try. At any rate, if the system doesn't boot you can always throw the PSU in the trash and get a new one for $40 or $50.

Really, don't risk it. Generic PSU's are known to take out whole system's when they go, and that will go quickly if it powers up at all.

You have to remember that the 300watts is not a constant 300watts unlike companies that produce good psu's like Antec and OCZ etc. I will be a bit pesimistic and say it won't power it at all/for more than days/weeks, and than give you a huge fright with a load band, a blinding flash, and a room full of smoke and maybe consequenting in taking out hardware.

As I said, it is not worth risking a 6800gt with that PSU.

If he is a bit tight on cash Thermaltake make very good PSU's for a good price ($50.)

I agree, I just had a customer bring me a PC because of a blown PSU and it took out the motherboard with it when it blow up literally.

I wouldn't even go with a generic 480w PSU. Get a brand name. There is no reason to skimp out on your power supply.

Is it a Dell? If it is, it is probably safe, because they usually don't deliver crap psus.

PSU's are overlooked so much these days. Ive had a Generic PSU take out a MOBO and GPU and i feel i was lucky. I then got a 420 watt Thermaltake PSU and its been ticking nicely from then on.

I agree with those above, don't risk it, you US people can get your hardware cheap anyways from NewEGG. Get either a ThermalTake or Antec 400+ W psu. Will serve you/him much better...

Hacp said:
Is it a Dell? If it is, it is probably safe, because they usually don't deliver crap psus.

They are crap PSUs.

I wouldnt even try running a 6800 GT with less than 400 watts. the 6800 series is known to be power hungry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom