Thinking of buying a new wireless setup, need suggestions!

Status
Not open for further replies.

YanBooth

Daemon Poster
I am thinking of completely re-doing my wireless, and DSL setup.

I am looking at 3 different wireless routers, and I cannot decide which will be the best for me. I will have 2 laptops running off of it on and off, a desktop on wireless, and my gaming desktop hard wired to it.

BELKIN Pre-N 108 Mbps F5D8230
or
LINKSYS WRT54GX 54Mbps
or
D-Link DGL Wireless Gaming Router up to 108Mbps Data Rates

I think those are all the top of the line choices. I like the gaming router a bunch, just because it says 'gaming router' ;) but would the others be more functional when range comes to mind?

Now, I need a wireless enabled PCI card for my Dell desktop that won't be in the gaming room, or be used for gaming, or anything requiring a fast card. I am hoping that this will be a good choice no matter the router I use, is this correct?
LINKSYS WMP54G

I will be replacing a Netgear laptop PCI-Mini card, and this is where I don't have a clue what to look for, this is what I found after getting help from a good friend who resides on these forums...
LINKSYS WPC54GS Wireless-G PCMCIA

I think that is all I need... Thanks SO much for your help,

Yan

I'm a Linksys fan, I've never had any problems with my Linksys hardware and your Linksys choices are just fine. I don't like Belkin much, I think they're unreliable and don't perform as well. D-Link is not bad at all, but I've heard some of their routers have a shorter-than-normal range.

Stay away from Belkin. I own a Belkin 54g Wireless router, and it sucks. Ill be sitting here browsing the internet, with an excellent signal, and then the dumb thing just cuts off. It does this at least 10 or 12 times at day for 10 Minutes at time. Its not like im two miles away either, im probably only sitting 20ft from the router. Ive tried upping the security, and changing the router channels, and it does nothing. Sometimes if I change the channel just right, it locks me out all together. I would say either Linksys or D-Link. I have had good luck with Linksys Wired Routers, and a friend of mine owns a D-Link wireless router and always gets a perfect signal that never cuts off. I think the Gameing router would appeal to me too.

Here is a Netgear Router that looks pretty decent as well.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16833122025 NETGEAR FWG114P

The appealing thing about this one is the USB port on the back. So it could be used as a wireless printserver, which is nice.

Nah, I am moving on from Netgear... I have my reasons for disliking... I won't bother to write them down, I would have to start a book, lets just put it this way, unless my laptop is on the desk the router is on, and near the router, I cannot connect...

So, I like the idea of the gaming one just because of the name, as I said earlier. The Belkin is out of the question, as thats about 3-5 people saying the same kind of thing about it. I wonder how much range the Linksys with its special 3 atenna design will really buy me, at the moment, I am leaning towards the D.Link.

Also, I forgot to put this in (I knew there was something I missed), I have DSL, and something to do with my setup keeps crashing the DSL, a few times a day, so I was wondering if there are other DSL modems available to buy, anyone know?

Thanks again,

Yan

if you can go for topcom, their 108mbit products are good (even for gaming). i almost never lose signal, and there's 3 walls between me and the router.
might be a bit more expensive though.
i've got a skyracer pro wbr 654

I like D-Link's idea's of how they do stuff with that router, it's meant for people like sharing pr0n at a LAN while you can still game.

I would go with either the linksys or d-link, probolly the linksys.

i would aviod linksys, ive got the asdl version of that one and its totally rubbish, its offen disconnects or crashes itself. I would go for d-link if i was to buy another one. But i would make sure i got all the same brand for wireless cards and the router. I quite like my belkin wireless card it does the job really well i think.

802.11 standards are completly interchangable, you can get any gear you want.

My home network doesnt contain the same brand of components twice, cisco router, SMC switch, D-link wireless. As well as their is VIA, realtek, Intel, Marvel and a handful of other LAN "cards"

Linksys do make quality routers, aj 2003 probolly has never tried a firmware upgrade, or is overstressing a home router.

If you put 4 PC's each doing a crapload of p2p, yes home routers are vunerable to crash.

yea i am aware of the fact that they are interchangable because i use a belkin, linksys, broadcom and a cheap ebuyer card so not one are the same :p but i was refering to the high speed mode where you get 108mb/s? i thought for that you had to have the same brand of equipment?

I have tried a firmware upgrade and its sitting at the most recent one now and that hasnt helped my problem. All i do on the network is 1 comp on p2p and thats it or i have one playing a 2d chess game and the other searching for university stuff, so its not stressed that much when its supposed to be able to handle 200 and odd wireless connections and 4 wired :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom