Make a "Service Pack"

Status
Not open for further replies.
SP2 is a must with XP so many patches in it and security features. I am installing SP2 on my 289th PC tonight and NO problmes with SP2 at all on any of our previous work machines which we have about 15 pieces of different software both propritery and not.

SP2 is fine as long as you never install it on an older or slower computer..., Its a killer if you don't have a 1Ghz or higher...

All the sp2 problems I've encountered have been the result of upgrading an existing install, around half have had quite serious errors, even when upgrading a clean install. In contrast, I've had no problems at all when using a slipstreamed disk. I use nlite to slipstream, add ryanVM' s upgrade pack and apply minor tweaks. A note of caution however, applying too many tweaks can cause problems if you're installing for someone else, unless you're absolutely sure you know how they intend to use their pc.

Juice Daddy said:
SP2 is fine as long as you never install it on an older or slower computer..., Its a killer if you don't have a 1Ghz or higher...

Just for kicks we installed this on one of our old IBM 300 GL's which I beleive was a PENTIUM w/MMX 233MHZ and 64MB RAM...WOW is all I have to say.lol.

You could also set up a Norton Ghost server, set up a machine with all the updates you want and then make an image. Then once you have the image you can drop an image to a machine in 10 mins tops, with software other then just the OS included. The only hang up is that you have to had an image for each machine. This works well at the company I work for as they buy big lots of machine that are all the same. But its idea if it fits your situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom