SATA hard drive running slow...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ruairi

Beta member
Hello, I have two nearly identical machines, both dual 2.8 ghz xeons/2gb ram/geforce 6800GT graphics cards/Asus PCH -DL motherboards and Maxtor 6B250s0 system drives. One machine has a 5 drive SATA raid array using a rocketraid 182X Sata controller, and this is the machine in question - the raid array seems fine, according to HDtach I get an average transfer rate of 112MB/sec, but the system drive is considerably slower than a single SATA drive should be. It's running at an average of only 3.1 megs/sec - which is scarily bad. I'm not tech expert, but does anyone have any suggestions as to what I should do about this? if you need more info of course I can provide it, but I'm not even 100% sure what info I need to give. This is not a sudden thing btw, it's been like this since the machine was built (the identical system drive in the other system gives an average read of 53 megs/sec, but I can't see what in the setup could be causing the difference in performance)

there is an additional maxtor 6B300s0 sata drive in the raid machine, used for backups primarily and this held in an external icybox case connected again via SATA. This too is painfully slow.

the only setup difference I can see is the primary/secondary master/slave order which is set differently on the raid machine - I dont know if this makes a difference, but here's how it's set up on the raid machine:
primary ide master: sony dvd rw dw-d2
primary ide slave sony dvd-rom ddu1613
secondary ide master: maxtor 6b250s0
secondary ide slave: maxtor 6b300s0

apart from that I'm stumped, so any help or suggestions people here can give is much appreciated,

Cheers,
Ruairi Robinson.

Hello again, I've narrowed the problem down after much pain - apparently, the drive keeps reverting to PIO mode instead of UltraDMA... I've checked around the web for info on this, and have tried a few of the supposed solutions detailed, but nothing seems to make any difference (uninstalling/reinstalling the primary ide channel drivers, deleting the appropriate registry keys etc...) anyone have any other ideas?

any suggestions at all will be much appreciated

cheers,
Ruairí

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom