how to connect a hard drive to pc without removing the tower case?

Status
Not open for further replies.

l1nh

Beta member
Hi, there.
I have 2 extra hard drives and want to use them.
But I don't really like to open the tower case in order to connect them.

Is there any way that I can buy stuffs like some kind of cords...?
So I can plug "it" to the hard drive and plug to the computer without having to open the case?

Please be a bit specific.
Thanks.

search tigerdirect.com and newegg.com and look for hard drive enclosures, they come with a casing and a 12 v power supply and it converts the IDE to a USB cable that you plug in from the outside. makes it like an external drive.

You could always get an external hard drive that plugs into the USB port but it appears you have already purchased your hard drives. I

l1nh said:
Hi, there.
I have 2 extra hard drives and want to use them.
But I don't really like to open the tower case in order to connect them.

Why is this? It is really not very complicated to install a hard drive, though it can be intimidating if you do not know what you are doing. If you take the cover off and install them internally, you will have a neater pc area, save money, and your drives will run faster. Installing a hard drive is VERY easy. You'd pretty much go through the same process installing it into an enclosure, only without the benefits of having it directly in your computer. Let us know if you may want to try.

Okay, first that converter is just an enclosure that doesnt enclose stuff, you have a naked hard drive sitting on your desk with a power cable hanging out from your PSU (if it will reach)

Second, IDE cables are 18 inches max, any longer and you have problems.

Something like this would do great

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom