Getting 2 21.3in monitors, I need suggestions for a video card

Status
Not open for further replies.

uthscsa19

Baseband Member
This is my work computer. I have been given approval to get two 21.3in Samsung Monitors that are DVI/VGA compatible. I am guessing DVI would work best, and my current video card only has on DVI connection, or a DVI that splits to two VGA. It is a Nvidia GeForce FX 5200. Is running both of them off the VGA ports off this computer fine, should I get a dual dvi card? If so, I need a pretty inexpensive dual dvi card (less than $150) since I am already spending $1300 on the monitors. I have a Dell GX270. If you need any more info, just ask.

Thanks

Steve

i forgot to ask what are you running under AGP or Pci-e becuase the price will differ i can help you and get you a link to one thats less then 150 becuase this is not for gaming its for work. right ;)

But y would you need 2 montiors for i mean at work that kind of weird to me. But who cares 6600gt has great performance and plus the price is great.

I work with multiple files, normally 4-5 at a time. I do alot of 3d and 2d presentations for several doctors in a research environment. Also having multiple documents open at the same time is very helpful. I do use alot of photoshop, corel, powerpoint, 3ds max, maya, usually running them on seperate monitors. The card is running through 8x agp, as per Everest, right now. I have to order through dell though, its a university thing. I figure since im getting those big 1600x1200 monitors, Id might aswell run them off of DVI, since im guessing the performance would be better. Right now, I have my two 19" CRT running off of 2 VGA that is split off of the one DVI on the 5200. Please let me know what you think the best thing to go with? Dual DVI 6600GT? Hopefully dell has one of those in stock.

Steve M

i just looked into dell a little on there site and i had seen some vga cards 5500 OC, 6800 so i would think that they have something that you are wanting.

I think im going with the PNY 6600GT Dual DVI. Ive heard alot of great things about the 6600GT, and Im hoping that it will improve the viewport performance in 3ds Max 7, since the Nvidia 5200 sucked once you got a good number of polys in the screen. Well Ill let you know how this goes, should be getting everything in a week. Cant wait to see people drooling over my dual 21.3 Samsungs.... hehe. Well its about time i got em, considering Im their graphics/presentation guy, and I was the only one that didnt have a nice flatpanel.

yes DJ i was going tto tell him to get XFX but as you said DOA alot. SO y take the risk. Well hope your computer turns out good.

I am assuming that my computer will have the extra power connection needed for the 6600GT and that it will be AGP 2.0 compliant. It is fairly new, bought early 2004. Its a P4 3.2Ghz Northwood. The current card is an 8x AGP 5200, so i think everything would be the same exept the extra power connection. I think the 6600GT takes two? One that normally goes in, plus an extra? Just checking on these little things.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom