Is there a way to install Windows 98 without a Boot Disk?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PC Man Brian

In Runtime
Yes, I was wondering if there is any way to install Windows 98 without a Boot Disk. Because, I don't have any floppies lying around. :confused:

Well, I get to a screen that says "Reformat C:" it also says "Put you're Windows 98 into you're D: or have boot disk" something. I don't have an official boot disk, I downloaded it... But when I press enter it beeps at me, and goes back.

Now keep this in mind, I have no OS on the computer.

When I tried XP before that I got really far. When it gets up to Installing Devices and it has the littl 39 minute timer. Then it comes to "Name and Organization" - "name the PC" - "set the time" all of that. When I do all of that, it just stops for a second and reboots and takes me back to the beginning of the 39 minute timer, like it's repeating.

SHAWN said:
Sounds like you have hardware problems.

Whatever would make you say hardware problem? All he said was he did have any floppies. More of a personal problem than hardware problem.

I agree with SHAWN. It sounds like a hardware defect. It could be that there is a problem with the IDE bus on the motherboard; thus corrupting various sections of data and in turn creating errors, etc within the installation. I've had this on an old motherboard in the past, and nothing I threw at it solved the problem. The first thing that you should do to troubleshoot the problem (and to find out whether it actually is a hardware defect) is to try the various parts of the computer in other set-ups and see how the systems react to them.

TMT. :cool:

Tankhead02 said:
Whatever would make you say hardware problem? All he said was he did have any floppies. More of a personal problem than hardware problem.

Learn how to read. He spoke about installing XP and having problems.

Oh, well sorry about the attitude, but as a matter of fact. I'm using it right now, I just tried it for the hell of it and the installation worked. Thanks for all of the help everyone, I'll be visiting here more often. I'm actually glad to be with these boards. Not even dell could help. Thanks again.

- Brian

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom