Intel Pentium M

Status
Not open for further replies.
1.6 Pentium M will be plenty for sure.

A 1.6 Pentium M is probably equivalent to a 2.6-2.8 Ghz P4.

i was just flipping through this forum, macdawg said that a 1.6GhZ Pentium M Centrino would = to a 2.8 P4 what would a Pent M C 1.7 GhZ = to?

a celeron 1.7 mobile would be around 2.4 p4 equivalant

These are a bit rough estimates however

Im not sure if this is the case with the Pentium M and P4 but the measurement of ghz is flawed.

For example, the 2.8 ghz AMD FX-59 can tear up and Intel 3.8 ghz because the AMD uses shorter pipelines than the intel.

so, if you had an object going 28 feet per second, but only had to travel 75 feet it would finish faster than an object going 38 fps a distance of 120. Catch my drift?

I believe M's are smaller than P4s so this is a reason for speed increase.

basically amd has their memory controllers on-board wich speeds up cache + ram read and writing up considerably wich thus increases cpu speed, pentium M on the other hand has a large on board L2 cache (can be compared to the pentium 4 Extreme Edition). The main reason it saves this much power is because it downclocks according to useage/power left (if on battery).
i'd at least go for the 1.73 Ghz one, or try looking for a laptop with a AMD 64 processor in it. (if possible the soon to be released Venice mobile cores).
a good laptop would be the Amilo A1630 (believe thats the name) has a 3700+ 64 bit mobile in it, only the gfx is the bottleneck in that one. (still beter than those intel integrated gfx chips though :p)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom