Questions about my amd

Status
Not open for further replies.

matthallo

Beta member
Im new to these forums. Up until recently, i was a pentium guy. I recently bought an AMD 3200+. I am wondering, how many gigahertz is this equivilent to in a pentium 4? When i look at a game, and the min requirements are, say, 3.0 gigs, and im only running 2.2 on my AMD, will i still be able to run it? thanks!

matthallo said:
When i look at a game, and the min requirements are, say, 3.0 gigs, and im only running 2.2 on my AMD, will i still be able to run it? thanks! [/B]

Yes unfortunally when they write game specs they still wrting them in terms of what speed pentium you would need. Athlons are different because they do more in one clock cycle then a pentium. This mean a athlon is MUCH better then a pentium of the same speed. A athlon 64 3200+ is a awsome cpu and should have no problem playing any games.

I asuming you have a athlon 64 3200.

If you dont and have a athlon xp 3200 then the cpu sorta sucks but it still should be able to play a game with a 3ghz min requirments but not on really high settings. Of corse I have never seen a game require 3ghz most I ever seen is a 2ghz min and a 2.6ghz recommendation.

Any 3200+ if it's athlon 64 or athlon xp will play the game fine.

Your 2.2 GHZ AMD will do much better than a 3.4 GHZ intel

If you dont and have a athlon xp 3200 then the cpu sorta sucks but it still should be able to play a game with a 3ghz min requirments but not on really high settings. Of corse I have never seen a game require 3ghz most I ever seen is a 2ghz min and a 2.6ghz recommendation.
The 3200+ XP wouldn't limit him from playing games on high settings dude....his graphics card and amount of memory will determine that

If he had say 512mb of PC3200, 3200+ XP, and a 6600GT he'd be able to play doom3 at 1024x768 with high settings...probably no AA, but still it could handle it....of course the 512mb of memory would be cutting it close and 1gb would smoothe things out

a general rule is that the number (i.e. 3000+, 3200+) is roughly the number of mhz a pentium would need to come close to it in games performance. yes there was a day when the cpu was measured in mhz, and if any of you have forgotten what it is its 1000mhz=1ghz.
Yeah don't tell Uzi9mm that.....the child will go on a flaming rant

Those numbers are not based on intel CPU freqs.

They base those model numbers on relative application compared to their own line of cpu's. In no way do they base the model numbers off of Intel freqs.

"AMD has assembled a suite of industry standard benchmarks and applications to determine the application performance of AMD Athlon processors. These benchmarks and applications represent a broad array of real-world applications. Specifically, AMD has identified three usage models which best exemplify the commercial and consumer end user PC experience: Office Productivity, Digital Media, and 3DGaming"

Processor Performance = IPC(instuctions per cycle) x Clock Frequency

I am in no way saying that AMD cpus are bad. And i do not hate them. I just want you people to get off that idea. THEY DO NOT base the model numbers off of Intel. I just gave you proof on the last post with an excerpt stright from AMD's site. How many times do I have to copy and paste that clip of text to show you people. :mad:

but anyways whatever. just keep on thinking that they are making the models numbers up based on intel cpu's. your just cheating yourself knowledge wise.

Dude....it's an approximation of their power based on a 'standerdized' clockspeed....just like those game boxes are all based on Intels pretty much...if they game box says it requires 2GHz CPU...then a 2000+ Athlon XP would do the trick....

AMD would not blatently say "Our model numbers represent our rival Intels clockspeed to help you guys know" so that little paragraph is in no way 'solid proof' that you think it is.

Nubius said:
The 3200+ XP wouldn't limit him from playing games on high settings dude....his graphics card and amount of memory will determine that

If you believe that cpu have nothing to do with gaming performance then you foolish. Graphic card, cpu, and ram all factor into how well you will perform in games.

Take a look
http://www.tomshardware.com/cpu/20041221/cpu_charts-15.html#directx_9

all these systems used the exact same amount of ram and video card but the difference between a athlon 64 3200+ and athlon xp 3200+ was as much as 40fps. Those 40fps might not make much of a difference in today games but as game get more complicated having the better cpu will make the difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom