Celeron to AMD?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quintox said:
I know it'd be low, but as long as it'd run smooth.

I think you going to have a problem with a geforce fx 5200 playing battlefield 2

This is taken stright from the games min system requiements

System Requirements

* Windows XP (32-bit) with Admin rights
* 1.7 GHz Pentium 4 / Athlon XP or greater
* 512 MB or more
* 460MB of HD Space
* DirectX 9.0c compatible (*video)
* DirectX 9.0c compatible (sound)

*Video
Video card must have 128 MB or more memory and one of the following chipsets:

* NVIDIA GeForce FX 5700 or greater
* ATI Radeon 8500 or greater

notice they want at least a geforce fx 5700

Is that the requirements or recomendments? And still, It's worth a shot, in the end you'll have a better system.

requirements

And I am wise enough to not base assumptions on mhz, but the 1 ghz rule is close by still off. 2/3 of my personal PC's are AMD, the third was intel because it was free, I may even have 4 PC's and the 4th would be an AMD K6-300.

The only difference between celeron and pentium is a quarter of the cache.

I would say a 2.8ghz is equal to a 2.4 GHZ p4 (assuming it follows the cache rule) and around the peformance of a 2200+ in gaming.

Heh, I even own a 2000+ mobile, it's 1533mhz

The only problem about all of this is that I don't have a ATX case....I have a compaq so its supposedly weird.

Says Micro atx... argh so now I have to buy a case

Update. The board is an MSI KT4V Version 10A. Processer is amd xp 2000+. I'd also get a pny 5200 ultra 128 mb AGP., and 128 of ram (which is ok b/c i have 768 here which i'd transfer)

So, question is, how much more cpu could the mobo take? I mean how high could I upgrade to? I can't find the specs anywwhere.

Oh, and this would all be free, minus the shipping. :)

Heyyo,

http://www.msi.com.tw/program/products/mainboard/mbd/pro_mbd_detail.php?UID=362

CPU

• Supports Socket A (Socket 462) for AMD® Athlon™ XP/Athlon™/Duron™ processor
• Supports up to Athlon™ XP 2800+ processor

Yep, there ya go, it has room fro improvement. ;)

The agp port is 8x, so that's as good of an agp port you can get.

Now, there's no metion wether you got the version with the built in ethernet port, so ask your bud wether or not you'll need a NIC. They're aboot $10 cad, so no biggie if there ain't one.

I agree with the others who say the AMD AthlonXP 2000+ will be better than the celeron 2.8GHz for gaming. The cache size makes it only good for a student work computer. Heck, I think my old AMD K6 700MHz (I think it was that much at least..) cpu beat down a 1.2GHz celeron cpu, lol.

I dunno, if I were you, I'd dig around local computer shops and see if you can find an old vidcard cheap. If you're lucky you can find a geforce 4 ti for under $90 cad, even an old geforce3 would rock. That will beat out the fx5200 (oh c'mon, like the fx5200 would even crank out the visuals, lol). Don't get a geforce 2 or geforce4 mx440, the fx5200 is well, barely better than those.

In the end, it's a simple matter of if you wanna game with your buds. I'd say if they're willing to help you out? they're good buds man, stick with em'. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom