Celeron to AMD?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quintox

Daemon Poster
I have a 2.8 ghz celeron with a PCI card. I'm feeling left out for the rest of my clan is playing BF2 on our ranked server. I can't play BF2, but one of my clanmates said he could give me an AGP mobo w/ a AMD xp 2000+ and a stick of RAM. (not sure if its 512, etc).

Would this be better than my 2.8 celeron? I know an AGP card would be.

Oh, and dont' tell me to buy a whatever whatever, I cant'. This is me only choice.

Hmm well the AGP card might help you, but really both the celeron and 2000+ aren't that strong of CPU's....the 2000+ will be like.....hmm I'm gonna guess like 1.4GHz offhand, maybe 1.6GHz but I can't remember without looking it up....in that case even though celerons are weak CPU's like the AMD Durons, that 1200 - 1400 extra MHz will probably beat out the AMD

Is it free? If it is then do it. If it's not then still do it (If he's not asking too much for it). Celeron's ARE NOT ment for gaming. Just about any AMD product is build great for games. The 2000+ will definitly do you fine, but did he say what video card it is? That might be holding you back.....but still way better than PCI.

I have overclocked my Athlon xp 2000+ from 1.67Ghz to 1.9Ghz and when compairing amd to intel you should add 1Ghz to the amd for it to compair...

in otherwords an amd at 2Ghz is like an intel processor at 3Ghz...
so... this probably means that they will give the same results, although amd is known for games and intel are known for apps

(don't quote me I might be wrong)

I was planning on OC'ing.

The AGP would probably a 5200 ultra (also from a diff. clan mate)

I'm not sure if I would get it for free, and if not, it'd be really cheap, my clanmates are really nice. :)

Just about any AMD product is build great for games.

I diagree that a athlon xp ment for games. Skt 754 and skt 939 are great for gaming because of things like hypertransport and memory controller built into the cpu. A athlon xp is skt A and has none of that stuff.

Go for the 2000+ and clock it up a bit should be about the same as your celeron if you do that.

AMD's system of rating their processors is in comparison to Intel's MHz. For example, an Athlon XP 2000+ can be compared to the P4 @ 2.0 Ghz. I don't know how to compare the actual MHz of AMD's to Intel's cpus.

DJ-Chris I have to disagree with you. The Athlon XP will outperform the Celeron be quite a bit, especially in games. Celeron's are pieces of shit, they're Pentium's that they put scratches on before completing the manufacture of them. They also have like a forth of the cache. If you're going souly basing your opinion on the MHz factor, yes the Celeron is clocked quite a bit faster, but AMD doesn't go by the MHz myth and they get excelent performance from their chips.

If you are getting the 5200 then you'll probably be able to play BF2, but not on too high of setting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom