Compatiblity with 7800 gtx

Status
Not open for further replies.

Octaz

Beta member
I'm new to these forums (this is my first post) and i'm new to building computers, so i have a question.

Will a geforce 7800 gtx be compatiblie with an asus a8n-sli deluxe motherboard?

Also, would this be better with an nforce 4 sli chipset motherboard? ( i have a feeling these may be the exact same motherboards because of thier names.)

Basically i want my computer to look like this:

Motherboard: asus a8n-sli deluxe OR alienware nforce 4 sli chipset

Graphics Card: Geforce 7800 gtx

Ram: 2, 1 gig, corsair xms ram

Processor: athlon 64 fx-55

EDIT IS HERE: I completely forgot, i have no idea about the power and cooling stuff, so can somebody give me a some tips on what to do with power?

If somebody knows a good website where i can check compatiblity please tell me too, because you guys probably dont go looking up compatibility for people or dont have that exact system. I just want to make sure my comp doesnt fry.

Also, will this computer run well with the new games like half-life 2, doom 3, and battlefield 2?

Yes it will run great, nForce 4 uses PCIE so you are stuck with that since the 7800 GTX only comes in PCIE form.

Let me make a suggestion though: if you plan on doing any overclocking than don't go for an Asus motherboard as DFI will easily out do it. However if you do not plan on overclocking than stay with the Asus.

2GB RAM, unless you are doing something with 3dmax or something of the sort, is really unnecessary. Gaming rigs still run 1gb and perform expceptionally.

That pc will be able to run anything you throw at it at the highest setting. I'm almost sure somebody will tell you to get a DFI Lan Party Ultra-D Sli. I'm nearly sure they will also tell you to get 1 gb of ram instead of 2.

Edit: Yup, and he posted while I was typing, lol.

Since i'm new to the computer thing, i'm a little confused. GameGURU says that i am stuck with the nforce motherboard since its the only one that supports the 7800.

But then you later say dfi (whats dfi?) will easily outdo asus (but i cant run it with a 7800 anyway) so stay with asus if i dont overclock (but i cant run my graphics card) what?

thanks for the tip about 1 gig, i thought it was like recommened 2 or something

thanks for your advice

I forgot to post this but i edited it, does anybody know what power and cooling stuff I should get for this?

Asus and DFI are both motherboard manufacturers. So are Abit, Gigabyte etc.

nForce 4, 3 Ultra, 3, 2 etc. are Chipsets on the motherboard. Each motherboard has one. VIA is also a chipset.

The nForce 4 is the chipset that the PICE boards use. The nForce 3 Ultra is the chipset AGP boards use.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813136151

this motherboard uses SLi just like the Asus does.

I guess since you are new to computers you wont be overclocking so stick with the Asus. Overclocking is a little advance and has nothing to do with wether or not the graphics card is compatible with the motherboard etc.

is PICE and PCIE the same the thing? sorry to be a spelling cop

and so asus, dfi, and nforce are still both compatible with the 7800 gtx along with the rest of the system?

Yes they are compatible, get what you originally wanted to purchase. I meant PCIE, I spelled it wrong :p .

Also, as far as the cooling you will want some custom fans for the CPU. It would be best if you had a friend to talk to about this stuff because it can get mis-read and confused over the internet. However as long as you need help I will continue to help :D

thanks (sorrry for the one word post (so i made it longer with these parenthisis or whatever these are called))

so any fan thats powerful is fine right? i dont need to put them in any specfic spot of the pc?

and with power

I can just buy any kind of power supply as long as its powerful right?

Octaz said:
I can just buy any kind of power supply as long as its powerful right?

No. You don't want to get a no-name brand or a case PSU. Keep in mind that PSUs are often the part that can destroy your computer. If you get a lousy power supply, you could end up buying you parts multiple times.

I would strongly suggest the OCZ Powerstream 520w. It is one of the best PSUs out there if not the best. It also comes in a 600w version, but you honestly would not need that.

You have to make sure that it is a 24 pin connector, also the fans go in certain spots. When installing the CPU fan, it is a relativley difficult thing to do if you don't have experience so be careful about that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom