Wi-fi Securityb problem for winxp

Status
Not open for further replies.

MickD

Solid State Member
I have a wi-fi network at school and noticed something disturbing. My firiend sitting next to me was able to view files on my hard drive over the network. How can I change this so that he (and no one else) cannot? I asked another friend about this, and he said it was becuae i had file sharing enabled (where there is a hand underneath your hard drive icon), but there is no little hand under my hard drive icons in win explorer. Can anyone help? I dont have a windows password, if i make one will it help? How bout a hard drive password? ps- i do have Norton and Sygate firewall. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanx alot.

You are using WinXP Pro, eh?
There doesn't have to be little hand under the folder or drive. He/She is probably connecting to the machine by the administrative share (C$). I could explain it....but that might take a little while.
To disable this feature, Right-Click on the C drive icon and goto the Sharing and Security option. Make sure that the "Do Not Share This Drive" radio button is enabled.

-Mike

do you want to disable sharing with only authorized users you give permission to? you must have administrative priveledges in order for you to set it up.

I do have adminstrative privaleges, and I do not want any other person on the wi-fi network to have access to the files in my hard drive.

MY file sharing is already disabled. I do not mind if you get technical about it, i just want to know how to disable anyone on the network from viewing my files. thanx.

damn it that was a typo, sorry. i meant, do you want me to explain to you in technical terms how to allow only users you specify to share with, all other unauthorized users would be denied?

mike asked you if you were using winXP, but you didn't say anything so i will assume you are using win2000, winXP home or professional versions. this only applies to those 3 OS's. to only share with only users you specify and block all other users you must go to folder options and disable simple file sharing.

next you must add all users you want to share with in the user accounts in control panel. it is best to use the same name and password that your users use on their own computers.

example Bill has a computer with user bill42 and pass: hexmon40. you should create a user account on your own machine that is the same as that so bill does not have to remember 2 accounts.

also you must decide what kind of access they have. do not allow any user other than you to have administrative privleges. admins can do anything to the system without any restrictions. also you MUST turn off the guest user account if it isn't already.

after adding users you must right click and select properties on folders you want to share. since simple sharing is disabled you can now manually authorize specific users access rights to each folder.

example i have a folder called movies. i have 3 users: bill, sam, and jill. if i want to only give jill and bill access rights to the movies folder i would add their names to the user access list.

it will ask you to browse for users to add, these users must have a user account created on your computer. their names and password is what you spefified when the account was made.

i hope this was clear for you, although it is very late here and i am beyond exhausted. i will clarify any questions you have, happy file sharing!

thanks alot ek. I am using xp pro and i implemented your method to disable file sharing. I guess the only way to test if it works is to tell my friend to try and view my files when i get back to school after the break. than again man, i appreciate it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom