amd athlon 2400+ ram????

Status
Not open for further replies.

hartofalyon

Beta member
hi guys,
i'm planning on getting the amd athlon 2400+ but i realize the fsb is 266 (133x2). i was wondering if i will get a better performance if i paired the processor up with the same fsb, so pc2100, or should i pair it up with pc2700? i'm not planning on overclocking.

the faster the ram the better... just because your processor doesn't run at 300 doesn't run that fastest doesn't mean it's bad

get what your maxium for your mobo is. Say your mobo holds up to pc2700 get pc2700 it dont really react with the cpu your computer will still run smoother. But dont go over what your mobo supports. Simply because it will just set the ram down to what it supports sort of like under clocking its self. See if you were to overclock and had faster ram, you wouldn't have to o/c the ram since it would just run at it rated level(dont o/c your ram)
But make sure you have ram of the same speed because the ram always runs as fast or slow as the weakest link.

what? both of you guys are confusing the hell out of me. hartofalyon what is your current RAM speed and size?

1 gb of pc2100

i was just wondering if getting pc2700 will be better. but i hear that running the fsb and ram synchronized will achieve better performance so therefore the pc2100 will be best, instead of asynchronized bus with the pc2700. is that true?

thats a load of junk. It will not preform better or smoother. Id does not have to be synchronized with fsb on cpu. There really is almost no connection between the two. So get the pc2700
But make sure you only use pc2700 is your rig. Because if you have say already 1 stick of pc2100 and go out and buy a stick of pc2700 and stick them both in. The pc2700 ram will under clock its self so your ram would still be running at pc2100 even though you have a nice stick of pc2700 in there

hartofalyon since you already have 1 gb of pc2100 i would not get anymore memory. over 512MB is a waste of money since for most applications will not even utilize that much memory. games usually do not suck this much either, an exception is when you are crunching numbers for rendering 3D animation.

switching to pc2700 will not make your comp go faster, getting high quality low latency memory will and also a faster hard drive will make it faster.

read this for more info: http://forums.extremeoverclocking.com/showthread.php?threadid=20942

if Demalii was talking about faster memory timings than that is correct.

XT your suggestion would only be practical if he was intending to take out his memory to put into another computer, not very likely. your statement "There really is almost no connection between the two" is misleading.

while it is good to synch their FSB it isn't neccessary. doing it however will increase your computer efficiency since they are communicating at the same rate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom