Problem with LAPTOP (Screen going on and off)

Status
Not open for further replies.
daappleby said:
I doubt the viurs scan will have anything, just making sure though. It sound like a driver issue more than anything. Or you have an application that is being a resourse hog. Another thought; I have seen similar issues with USB devices, specifally flash drives, that cause a system to hang or just run really stupid slow. If you have any usb stuff plugged in try removing it....

maybe run hijack this in windows safe mode and post a log in the av thread to see if there is somthing bad running.

Hmm I use a USB mouse but that's all.
The last one did play up a bit, but I'll try using word/powerpoint without it plugged in to see if it helps at all.

anyone know a proggy like memtest86 for vid cards? You can try sisoft's sandra and run some of the tests there too. They have a trial version I think. Just google sisoft and go to their site. If its hardware releated your SOL. I am hoping to find a software solution..

grego said:
I'm guessing it's a problem with your video card. Run memtest86 first to make sure it's not your main ram causing the problem though. Since it ALWAYS happens at those times you described thats what makes me think it's the vid card. Do you play any games on it?

I also agree that it is probably not a loose connection. Did you buy it refurbished?

How do I get this memtest working, it wont run in windows XP live.
Is it a boot thing?

And yes I play games, but very rarely, and nothing graphically heavy.

And no it was new at the time of purchase.

Yesterday it went off and stayed black and off.
I rebooted and it took about 10minutes (stayed on loading winXP screen), I rebooted again and then it did check disk (fixed 2/3 problems, and restored some extra disk space). It rebooted again and it's still VERY slow at loading, and VERY slow at doing anything (i.e: Loading things, rebooting).

Possible HDD/RAM problem?

I have tried disk clean up, spyware search, adware search, virus search, currently defragging - but doubt it'll help.

I guess this may be a send-it-back job.

The processing light is always on now, and it also makes a noise (du du du du - is that the HDD noise?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom