IDE or Stata?

Status
Not open for further replies.

QBA

Baseband Member
Hi

My 250 GB Western Digital that I use as backup is dead, so now I'm going to buy another 250GB or a 300GB.

My dilemma is should I go Sata or IDE, I'm planning to use a hard drive rack which I know they make for the two types.

The reasons I may go Sata is because some one told me that they are "hot swap" meaning I could just push the rack in at any time and the system will recognize the sata drive without me having to turn off the system, plug the hard drive in and then turn it back on to do the back ups.

I heard that Sata is faster than IDE but speed is not really relevant to me because I think IDE are fast enough for what I need, so the main reason I could go Sata rather than IDE is the hot swap feature.

It is true I could plug the Sata drive in at any time with my system running, back my data and then unplug it again without harming the hard drive?

Or should I go IDE?

Thanks

Alex

I'm not like a expert on this subject but what i understand is that sata IS faster...but it is also more prone to lose data. This is because the data is divided and parts of it are put on different hard drives...this is why it is recovered quickly because the data is being opened from more than one hardrive at the same time versus getting all the data from one ide harddrive..i would think that goin with sata is more costly also...but like i said i'm no expert...i've just read about it...i'm sure someone else can give you more insight on this subject

SATA is not more costly

SATA is not faster in hard drive bandwidth

SATA does not divide parts of the files, this is data stripping RAID 0 which is not exclusive to SATA

SATA is still however a better choice, the RAID capability's that come standard are nice, as well as no master / slave configuaritions. The biggest benefit to SATA is smaller cables, which increase airflow, compared to rounded IDE cables are prone to crosstalk.

thanks guys,

joshd my mobo does support both.

I agree with DJ-CHRIS , a least in Toronto the price is pretty much the same. now the air flow it not a problem for me I use those tubes like cable for all my IDE.

So my real isue is it is hot swap or not ? can I plug and play without having to turn windows off and on without hurting the Sata drive?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom