Looking to buy a video card

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tyler1989

Fully Optimized
I'm looking to buy a video card with 128-256 megs. Can someone please tell me what are good ones to buy.

Also instead of just giving names tell me what makes a good video card and what I should be looking for. Do 128 or 256 megs really a differance what indicates the cards speed and other things.

all i have to say is 6600gt evga or leadtek........ they will run any game on almost max settings assuming u have itleast a gig of memory. for the demanding games now days lol.. but 480 wont do it if u want to run nowdays games at good settings

256mb is not needed its really just drawing people in to buying it... all u need is 128mb. games nowdays dont even use 128mb to tell u the truth. u should worry about bandwidth memory clocks and core clocks.. but all u need is a 6600gt and more memory and you will run anything thats thrown at you.

First off you do not want to base your decision on the amount of memory. It's almost meaningless. For example, I have a 5700 LE with 256 MB RAM. However, a 6600 GT with 128mb RAM would defeat it by far.

You should be looking for a card with high clock and memory speeds. Make sure to look at the memory interface. A 256-bit card will have drastically different clock speeds over a 128-bit card, even though they may perform reasonably precise.

A 6800 GT is 350/1000 stock and can play any game that is out there currently on full blast settings with some AA & AF. Based upon that, you can cut off the speeds for what your budget and how much performance you find necessary.

the more pipelines, higher memory and core clocks the better. size of memory doent make a huge difference, but may well do in the future, when games will load huge textures etc into it. if your going to get a 256 card, get a top end one, otherwise, get a good 128 card, its cheaper. it all depends on how long you want the card to last before upgrading

maybe, but what about a 6800 Ultra or one of the 7**** series, do they have 256 memory?

Actually I'm a peson who doesn't play games I'm building this PC as a christmas present to my 2nd yougnest cousin who is 9. I'm not sure what kind of games he plays but I want to build him a PC that will not be outdated for 6 years.

burned-ati this isn't for my current computer it's forthe one I'm building and it has 2 gigs I am thinking about shoving in another half gig though. About bandwidth memory clocks and core clocks how important are these two and what do they do. Is there a place you can find these specs on a box at the store?

6 years, thats a bit steep aint it. Most hardware (for gaming) lasts like 2 years before it really starts to show its age.

Anyways, once i get back in i'll post some info on good video cards (also, whats your price range?)

i dont think a 9 year old would need a 6600GT. i dont think that he plays games that would actually merit one does he? sorry if he does...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom