Ram

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zorro

Baseband Member
I recently brought a 512 MB RAM (Hynix, 400 MHz), which i installed along my 256 MB RAM(400 MHz) on Asus A7V400-MX board(AMD 2 600XP+, Geforce fx 5500), Ihav been using my system with 256 MB RAM for nearly a year and there were no problems . , but when i installed my 512 MB, 256 was not responding, i.e. the system showed 512 MB RAM, when i removed the 512 and restarted the system it gave long beeps which meant that DRAM was not detected,it was working tilll last day.It seems that my RAM is damaged and i'm quite lucky its in Warranty period.
i want to know whether there are any compatibility issues or any other precautions to be taken when installing RAM.there are 2 slots.anyway i will be installing a 256 later. hlp plzzz :confused:

I dont see how you had your first stick of RAM in because your motherboard doesnt support DDR400 i.e. PC 3200, and that is what you claim your RAM is. You shouldnt be using anything more than PC2700 RAM. I am not sure that I am totally understanding what you are saying.

str8lazy said:
I dont see how you had your first stick of RAM in because your motherboard doesnt support DDR400 i.e. PC 3200, and that is what you claim your RAM is.

Most of the time even if the motherboard dont support the higher speed ram it still works. It will just downclock it to pc 2700 speeds.

I know plenty of people that put ddr pc 4200 in ddr pc 3200 machines. It works fine just downclocks in to ddr pc3200. You may ask why would they do that. It because they then overclock the ram to ddr pc 4200 speeds. Since the ram ment to go that speed you have a really low chance of frying it or doing damage to the ram while overclocking.

str8lazy said:
I dont see how you had your first stick of RAM in because your motherboard doesnt support DDR400 i.e. PC 3200, and that is what you claim your RAM is. You shouldnt be using anything more than PC2700 RAM. I am not sure that I am totally understanding what you are saying.

No his motherboard will support PC3200 ram, it will just downclock.

Well you are saying you get long beeps with just the 256 in, right?

RAM

Its in the name A7V400-MX its in the guide,i am sure the POST screen shows 333mhz,but my tech persons also say it is 400MHz but they arent sure that the RAM is fried ....I am confused help PLEASE......???????? are there any other precautions before slipping in 2 RAMS in to the slots i.e 256MB,512 MB the order in which they are placed or so.........

sorry for cross posting, but i tried with my 256 MB RAM alone and it happened to work and system booted properly(Win XP), then i tried my 512, the system booted , on the POST screen, i.e. after showing the logo of Motherboard(A7V400-MX), it showed 768 MB RAM, and was loaded but then a bluescreen appeared and the system restarted repeating the above process.....i think thus the 256 RAM is faulty , but why did it work alone,, how do u know whether its problem of the slot.....?????did keeping a 512 together fry it or should the 512 be kept on the first slot or in a particular order or sooooooo....???? help plz

are you hoping for dual channel, it wont work when the two ram sticks are different. i also seem to remember hearing somewhere that its difficult to mix 512 and 256 and make it work?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom