newb here. hdd replacement question

Status
Not open for further replies.
of course doing that you would ideally want a 3.5" drive bay cover 2 :p to access the bios there will be a key that you have to press after the computer has turned on but before it boots. it may say something like "press x to enter setup" where x is the key. normally the key is either F1, DEL, or Insert. try the DEL key first if it doesnt tell you. just press it repeatedly after youve turned the computer on, if nothing comes up before it starts booting windows youll have to try again with another key. you may be able to find out what key it is in the manual or on the net

f i were him i wouldnt try flashing the bios right yet...thats pretty dangerous, especially if u dont even kno how to format and create or delete a partition

well knowing that my computer is running on service pack 2 (and im pretty sure the backup cd is xp sp2), i wouldnt need to do that anymore??

again, if in the event that something wrong were to happen, can i just pop in my old hdd and have everything running normal again?
thanks again for all the help. i appreciate it.

well if u ****ed up flashing the bios ur whole motherboard is dead. i kills ur bios, u cant just pop ur old harddrive back in and everything will be fine...but we have pretty much eliminated that factor. so dont flash!

i'll be sure NOT to flash my bios thanks.

hopefully i'll be able to install a second hdd in the unused floppy drive slot.

1120279658_dsc00303.jpg

you can see my dilemma..

of course doing that you would ideally want a 3.5" drive bay cover

after taking a look at the picture i provided, can you link me to a drive bay cover, or suitable drive bay enclosure/mount for my pc (if there is one)

i'm aware that dell sucks and that i lack an agp slot (and a whole lot of stuff most of you have) so please don't point that out. i don't use my pc for games. usually for photo editing & multimedia purposes.

any more options/solutions to my problem will be appreciated. thanks for all the help so far!

can you get a splitter for the hd mobo connector? if it only has one bay, i would assume it only had one connector aswell?

can you get a splitter for the hd mobo connector? if it only has one bay, i would assume it only had one connector aswell?

like this?:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16812104121

looking at my picture, will i need some type of enclosure if i were to install the new hdd in the floppy drive bay?

please link me if you know of one.

also, if that is out of the option is there a way for me to take an internal hdd and make it into an external?

i was looking at this but i have no idea what it is really:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817145656

thanks again.

yea they would be fine i suppose. have you already bought the hd? you could just buy an external.

^ havent purchased a new hdd yet.

i had a old internal hdd lying around and to tried to see if it would fit in the floppy drive bay, but it seems like im going to need some kind of mount. so i guess thats out of the question.

i guess im either going to pick up a new internal hdd & make it external using that venus enclosure OR buy a 200gb seagate external hard drive (which isnt that good according to some reviews; very slow, and some reports of data being lost after a month)

kind of on a budget...

^ well it would fit in the floppy drive, but no mount, so no can do.

there also is another connector on the mobo that would allow me to add another hard drive but its kind of stupid for dell not to be able to install a mount for it...

but i think i'm going to go with that external hdd enclosure from venus.

pretty good deal for around 40.00 (newegg.com), making an internal hdd into an external. sounds pretty cool.

thanks for everyone's input on all this. i appreciate it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom