Parts to NOT buy

Status
Not open for further replies.
is'nt Lite-On made bysome big company like pioneer or sony or one of those, the only drives i have had are Lite-On's and i don't see a problem with them. I've had no issues at all with them and i haven't even upgraded the firmware.

Drworm2005.

Heyyo,

Ok, this one ain't mentioned and it's imperrative! Don't buy any sapphire vidcards with a black pcb! they use some hella-cheap ram that I've had die on me in 3 hours! rediculous eh? rma'd that, got one with the blue pcb.. diddn't think the diff would be big, turns out the blue ones they used samsung ram.. thank god cause my vidcard's fine now. Btw, hint that your vidcard's ram is dying is if you get constant screen corruption as if you were ocing.

Now, someone said tomshardware is biased. For benchmarks yes. but probably cause they don't know that HL2 is ati optimized, and doom3 is nvidia optimized along with someothers. I say you can't trust 3DMark too much either.. both nvidia and ati have been caught cheating in the past on 3DMark. I think far cry's probably the cleanest benchmark they had as it's not geared towards either company. In general, it seems nvidia runs better with AA and AF on, and ati tends to do better when just running crude. Heh, I remember in the past when it was the other way around. Ok, on the pci-e front, nvidia seems to be doing better than ati. Nvidia's thriving on their 6600gt wich I must say brought some faith back to me for nvidia. due to 2 really bad vidcard purchases which I suggest avoiding:

Nvidia Geforce4 MX440 (a geforce2 ti can take it down.. it's pretty much a geforce2 with 64mb of ram..)

and the Nvidia FX5600. When I bought it, the radeon 9600 pro was $20 cad more, and offered 15F/S more... and for a price gap that small? easily worth it. Plus, the fx5600 ran like junk when there was quite a bit of particle effects going.

any cheap case. almost all of the suck. they use metal that bends easily. after my last cheap powmax case i just went ahead and bought a lian-li pc65 and i will never go back. easier to install and everything is removeable(love it)

This not a product in particular but rather a group of one that any one that plan to do any gaming should avoid.

A motherboard or prebuilt computer that has NO agp or pci-e slot. PLEASE ask this question before buying anything if you ever plan to use the computer for gaming.

I get so many people wanting to upgrade there video card to play a game like battlefield 2 or doom 3 but has no good options because all they got is PCI slots.

someone said dont get any x800 radeons?
would i be better off getting the cheaper x700?

To add to the Maxtor issue, I've been running a WD 80gb drive in my old computer for about 4 years now, and have a raptor and a 160gb WD drive running in this computer now, no problems thus far. My friend has had two maxtor drives give out on him in the past 3 years, so it seems they're rather hit-or-miss.

I'd steer clear of Maxtor for the most part.

Heyyo,

Nah, the x800 Radeons rock. Don't get any ATI's with the SE prefix, means special edition, as in cheap versions of the cards that are slower than the original for people who are too afraid to crank out a few extra bucks for the better version. I suggest avoiding ones like the x300 series, I bet a 9800 Pro would beat it down, and it's cheaper. Oh don't say junk like "PCI-E cards are always faster than AGP" cause that's not true. For now, the vidcards aren't using maybe 3/4ths of the potential of PCI-E. So for now I'm gonna live with my (soon to be bought r360 core for $140 cad) 9800 Pro, and wait until the PCI-E cards are more worth my cash. Cause their preformance-to-price ratio is pretty poor.

Cheap 5.1channel Sound Cards, anything that you think. oh that looks cheap, why is that soo cheap.. the reason is there useless. ive had 3 cheap sound cards under £10 - ($20ish) my reasons:

1) work fine to begin with but either stop working or sound becomes unclear and "fuzzy"

2) Quality of sound is never as good as a reliable well known card.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom