raid worth it???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Running

Daemon Poster
i recently got a 80 gig SATA hdd to add on to another one i had already. i was wondering if putting them in raid 0 was a good idea. i also have heard of raid 5, and was wondering what that was and is it better than raid 0? thanks for the help

Sure RAID-0 is good. It should give you better performance, overall. I would go for it if you can spare the extra 80GB of space.

RAID-1 is good if you need some redundancy.

As for RAID-5, you need 3 hard drives.

Raid 5 is another form of redundancy. Less secure than Raid 1, but not as space inefficient.

Raid 1 = ALL but one of the drives can fail, and ur data is still secure.
Raid 5 = Only ONE drive can fail. More than one, and u are screwed.

Yup!.. That's the idea. Of course, the name "Raid 0" is somewhat of a paradox - considering it doesn't provide any redundancy..

Raid 0 allows u to interleave content over multiple drives. Ideally, given some requests, all drives will be involved in handling them.. Due to this parallism, it is hoped that the speed would be faster than if one drive did all the work.

It is well worth putting the drives in raid0 imo, it does provide a nice speed boost, if your willing to take the risk that is. What might be wise is not using it to save ur all important document and pictures etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom