"Your current security settings do not allow this file to be downloaded" - WHY??

Status
Not open for further replies.

HeatherCW

Beta member
About a month ago my WinXP laptop got spyware-infested. After numerous attempts to remove it, I ended up reformatting the poor little beast.

Generally, it runs well. HOWEVER, certain web sites call up the error "Your current security settings do not allow this file to be downloaded" with no option to go ahead and download. Today's culprit is real.com, but others have had the same trouble. Some sites, far more dubious in my opinion, ARE able to download files.

I have tried adding these sites to my trusted domain, but this has no effect. I have tried temporarily lowering my security level for the Internet domain and trusted domain to Low, but it doesn't stick - it's right back at medium when I go back in.

I run SpywareBlaster and Ad-aware weekly and am pretty confident the computer is still spyware-free.

Why is the security out to get me??

Thanks,
Heather

Did you try setting all security setting to default level? Do you have a firewall? Disable spyware blaster, reboot and then try to download again.

Resetting the security levels does not make a difference; they do not appear to stick with the new settings. I am using Windows Firewall; disabling it has no effect. Neither did disabling spyware blaster.

Thanks very much, though. More ideas? :)

Heather

1. In Internet Explorer select Tools > Internet Options.

2. Select the Security tab.

3. Select Custom Level.

4. Scroll down to Downloads.

5. Under File download select Enable.

6. Click on Ok.

7. Click Yes on the Warning!

8. Then click Ok.

use netscape 8 or firefox. that what I do when I encounter those errors. try unchecking the disable IE flash in spyware blaster.

SpywareBlaster.jpg

I decided to go with Firefox. I tried it a while ago and didn't like it for some reason, I forget why, but it seems fine now. And I can download stuff.

Buh-bye, IE!

:)

thanks very much, all!

Heather

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom