AMD Processor vs Intel Processor

Status
Not open for further replies.
dang, this is getting slow.. common guys, our goal is 1000 posts on this thread... TF rules!! :cool:

it rules, but i'll still go with the X2... if i was only a gamer, i would get the FX57, but i'm doing apps and stuff, so X2 would suit me more..
i wonder how much you can overclock that chip...

Re: AMD Processor vs. Pentium Processor

Snake-Eyes said:
Hi I just joined and I have a few questions. Are AMD processors any better than a Pentium? Is the switch from Pentium to AMD smooth? I was looking at getting a new computer and I was introduced to an AMD processor so I was a little intrugued. Please nothing too in-depth, I'm just starting out in the PC world. At the moment, i'm looking at a 3200+ AMD processor (got a quote and the guy didn't write down the full name of hardly any thing).

the full computer setup is this (the quote was written down as this):

NVidia 6800 GT 256MB video card
2048MB PC3200 DDR RAM
S939 3200+
S939 K8NS Ultra MB
240GB RAIDED SATA
16x Dual Layer DVD+RW
Windows XP
ATX case
500W power supply
17" LCD monitor

Is this good to run the newest games like Doom 3, Half-life 2, etc? Also, do you think i should get a better processor?

pc_boy said:
it rules, but i'll still go with the X2... if i was only a gamer, i would get the FX57, but i'm doing apps and stuff, so X2 would suit me more..
i wonder how much you can overclock that chip...
I'd like to see how far they overclock also.
I expect they won't overclock as well, since they'll be putting out more heat from the 2 cores

apokalipse said:
I'd like to see how far they overclock also.
I expect they won't overclock as well, since they'll be putting out more heat from the 2 cores

actually, they might overclock more, since you can overclock each core.. i agree it would put more heat, but that's why you need a good cooling system. I herd Toledo is a good and efficient core, based on the Venice...:confused:

Would it be worth it to put a AMD Athlon 64 X2 in a computer for graphic designing and gaming? i'm sure you would be able to multitask like crazy. And since its duel cores, what are the two cores? ex: venice, toledo??

Heyyo,

Hehehe! one of the great computer wars: AMD vs Intel. This thread already has a lot of posts to it. I'm in full agreement with True_orb on page 1 (heh, diddn't read the others cause I diddn't feel like reading a lot unless its my own posts.. I've gotta little ego prob on forums, lol...) so I say amd is for gaming and yes they do run a little hot, but careful, I heard some of the intel stock heatsink/fans have probs with cooling, but I'm sure if ya buy one that's relatively new, like 1/2 a year old at the most, that you should be ok. Anywho, excellent 3rd party cooling solutions arent' too bad nowadays cause you can pick up a great heatpipe setup for around $50 cad. Yes, heatpipe has replaced the basic heatsink. remember that. ;)

Now, if you do check benchmarks, amd's do tend to do worse on multimedia stuff like encoding, but by maybe 20 seconds at the most.. so if you're not one of those "every second I waste is a second I'll never get back in my life," then the price gap between amd an intel for a couple of seconds lost ain't too shabby now eh?

[EDIT]
btw, the FX57 is probably the best, and probably the last single core processor. I know it tends to come very close to the x2. Check out www.tomshardware.com for a little write up for it. Ok, I'mma bit of an amd fanboy, but you gotta admit, them Texan's know how to cook up a mean cpu. :cool:

A friend of mine who recently built a Athlon 64 3500+ system said to me that if he had the change to build a completely new system right now, he would build it with a Intel chip. His reason was something like the Intel Midrange chips are cheaper or some crap.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom