Intel Pentium M

Status
Not open for further replies.

bethanybaldwin

Solid State Member
I'm purchasing a laptop with Pentium M and don't want to be outdated before school ends( 4-5 years). Will a 1.6 GHz do or should I opt very expensively for the 1.86? This particular notebook does not offer the 1.73GHz.

What will the difference be if any that I will notice between the two and can I survive that long on a 1.6 if necessary without any huge problems? Thanks for your input in advance!

As far as I know, Pentium M goes to 2Ghz as of right now unless I'm mistaken. Intel Pentium 4 goes over 3 I believe though. Apparently Pentium M is faster and consumes less energy than the pentium 4's even with HT Tech.

How can that be if Pentinium for is 3.6 Ghz and M is only 2 Ghz. How do you measure speed isn't it Ghz?

Not sure, tried to understand it all at intel.com/intel.ca but it's a little confusing. you can compare speeds only with the processor within the same class. however...at pcworld.com they said their tests ran the Pentium M (which notebooks are moving towards these days and Pentium 4 (HT too) is going the way of the dodo because of the Pentium M to cut back on heatup, weight, and ability to run on less power or something. ) computed faster than the once rival Pentium 4. Confused yet?

Very much so I wish there was a standard accepted by both AMD and all intel brands for speed.

For school work, you will probably be fine. Unless you are going to be doing some cpu intensive apps...What will you be working on mainly? Word, excel??

Yep word programs. I also work on a hobby basis with digital photos/video from my camera. I should still be okay though right? Basically it'll just be a too to up load and burn on to a DVD/CD for storage, not for keeping on the comp.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom