pen drive + peripheral fun

Status
Not open for further replies.

dakta

In Runtime
You guys have been great helping me in the past; so heres a more laid back question that we can all sit and discuss whilst calmly relaxing and drinking coffee. or tea.

First make yourself a nice drink of your preferable liquid and make sure your chair is ina comfortable position. Tell the kids to shut up for a minute. Calmly experience the great feeling of utmost relaxation (go on you deserve it) and hence we begin:

What is the most unorthodox thing you can do with pen drives? Ive ehard of people making them bootable etc, can anyone let me know of any crazy ideas they have to do with them, im bored this summer and golt a 256 stick i never use to play with.

This also goes for other pc peripherals, i was wondering if there was a way I could make a toy car or something out of computer peripherals such as psu, fan motors and the lot. For my technology assignment i made a lamp using UV bars and coloured fan casings powered by a 300watt power supply and now im feeling downright creative I want to have some fun.

Enjoy this topic
Kris
www.MasonMusic.co.uk - Hosted from home on my own server w00t

IAM_7154 said:
Load it up with viruses and go have some fun at Best Buy, CompUSA, etc.
lol^^^
If you did that I would not go back the will reconize u because of the cameras.

Do you have a xbox I use my jumpdrive as a memorycard if you r interested I will post a link, it is not hard to do.

dont have an xbox but phil ast work has, and hes keen on blowing it up so there we go, post ya link mate

anyone know any funny experiments with a psu also?

Oh and I was also considering seeing what happens if you run small voltages through ethernet cables of a largescale entwork. Got told it wouldnt do that much tho

damn it stole my suggestion. yeh the best i could think of is using it as an xbox memory card. definitely beats a tiny 8mb. it is simple as to do. all you need is a usb port of some kind to use with your xbox, plug in the drive and go into the memory section and it will reformat it from fat32 or fat16 to the xbox file system fatx. a usb adapter is easy to make because xbox controllers are actually usb.

basically all you need is a usb extension cable, the extension cable has to be a type A male to type A female, in other words the big rectangular standard plug (there are other ways such as installing ports on the xbox itself but this is a lot simpler for a beginner plus you can take the adapter with you) and an xbox controller. the controller does not have to be a microsoft one. if the controller has an inline release (the plug halfway down the controller cable) i suggest you cut this out of the cable. inside the cable you will find 5 wires they should be red, black, green, white and yellow. the yellow wire is redundant on a standard controller. the other colours all correspond to the same colours inside a usb cable. cut the usb cable in half and strip some of the outer shielding. strip the tips of the wires on the xbox controller cable (not worrying about the yellow) and the usb cable. join the usb socket to the controller plug side of the controller cable and the usb plug to the controller side of the cable. once your done if you plug the usb plug into the socket your controller will still work. the bonus of this is your controller now ends with a usb plug and can be used with a computer if you find the correct driver. try searching for something called XBCD i think it is, thats a controller driver for pc.
note: generic controllers may have different coloured wires, the ones i have seen used blue instead of black and pink instead of red.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom