HELP! Extremely slow computer... what's going on?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JiLLER

Baseband Member
Okay... I don't know what information any of you need about my computer... I also don't really know where to post this message for sure... but my computer is so slow that it has taken me 40 minutes to connect to the interenet and finally load this page. My computer started slowing down like this about two weeks ago. I received a little pop up box thing that said a large download may have caused an error in my hard drive. I tried running some hard drive repair thing and all sorts of stuff... but I'm to much of a noob with computers to really know what needs to be done. It seems every time I open up a program, the problem really takes off. I cannot run microsoft word, MSN, or browse the internet without having to wait excessive amounts of time for everything to load. Anything you can tell me to help, I will appreciate very much. I will check in as often as I can, but as slow as the computer is, it will be difficult.

Make sure your harddrive have more than 4 gigs of free space.
Get rid of IE and download firefox
Get yourself spysweeper and scan for spyware
Get yourself a good anti virus and scan for viruses
Clear all cookies and cache
defrag your hard drive

Make a backup

I've done all of the above except clear cookies and caches (Don't know how) and get Firefox (Would take about 7 days to finally download)

Are you a dail up user. And no I want you to use spysweeper not spybot and ad aware go get spysweeper. click on options in IE then clear everything. I also want you to post a hijack this log.

spybot doesn't work well imho. Get SpySweeper for $30 at any retail store and scan away with it, works extremely well. Also try downloading the free version of Ad-Aware once you update and scan with SpySweeper.
SpySweeper will need some updates to give you the best results, but those shouldn't take very long to download, even over a 56k connection, since it's a very small file.

Tyler1989 said:
Make sure your harddrive have more than 4 gigs of free space.
Get rid of IE and download firefox
Get yourself spysweeper and scan for spyware
Get yourself a good anti virus and scan for viruses
Clear all cookies and cache
defrag your hard drive

Make a backup

Sounds perfect, well done Tyler1989

I'm not sure what OS means... Operating System (Windows XP??)?... hehe... I don't have a clue. Yes, I am a dial-up user... but it isn't just internet related things that are giving me problems. Simple things such as just pulling up 'My Computer' or the 'Control Panel' take forever. I've cleared the cookies... I think... and as for getting SpySweeper... Well, that isn't going to be happening any time soon. It takes several days for me to download or install anything at all. However, I am pretty sure that Spyware and viruses aren't the cause of my problem. I will try and figure out how to get the error messages to come back up so I can post them here and then see if you guys can get a better idea of what's going on.

Try disconnecting any USB device that you have just to see if it's causing your problem. For example, a printer or a web cam. Boot up your computer without the printer or any external devices to see if it will boot faster.

Have you tried booting in safe mode to see if it's any better? While in safe mode, do a disk cleanup and disk defrag.

Sounds like you to have much system memory. How much do you have? Go to start, control panel, system, general tab and tell us how many mb or gb you have.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom