DFI Lanparty CPU fan help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Happity_Poppity

Solid State Member
Hi guys!

I just installed a Zalman 7700 ALCU on my Venice 3200+ on a DFI Lanparty Ultra-D NF4 mobo. Please read the whole description guys, there are a few twists and turns.

The 7700 comes with something called a Fan Mate 2 which allows you to control the speed of the CPU fan.

The thing is, when I turn the knob of the Fan Mate 2, the CPU fan does NOT change speed! It stays at the same speed, when connected to the 3 pin "CPU fan slot".

The BIOS Health Monitor tells me the fan is spinning at 800 something RPM when on slow setting. When the speed is attempted to be "increased" using Fan Mate 2, even though the fan is spinning at the same speed, the "CPU fan speed" in the BIOS goes to ZERO. (instead of both getting INCREASED)

When I use ANOTHER 3-pin fan input slot other than "CPU fan input slot" (e.g. Fan 2 slot), the speed increases to like 1700 something. So the "Fan Mate" thing is doing something right. Even though both numbers (800 and 1700 something) are less than the "stated" speeds of 1000/2000 +- 10%. (e.g. 900-1100 and 1800-2200 for the two modes). I guess this is another problem altogether.

Now, I INITALLY thought there was a problem with the 3-pin CPU fan slot. But the thing is, when I START the computer with the 7700 connected to the 3 pin CPU fan slot, it actually spins pretty fast (around 1700). But, as the computer is POSTing it slows itself down to like 800.. After that, as described before, no matter how much I turn the knob, it stays at 800 something rpm.

=============================================

So in summary, while both 3-pin CPU fan slot and Fan 2 slots are "capable" of spinning the darn thing at 1700 rpm, the 3-pin CPU fan slot only can do it "before" POSTing. After that, no matter how much I turn the knob, the rpm stays around 800 rpm. Connecting to the Fan 2 slot doesn't produce this problem.

Also, the reason why the fan speed is "off-specification" by a few rpm is also worrying me. It should be plus/minus 10% off 1000 rpm (for silent) and 2000 rpm (for normal). But I am getting around 800 and 1700 respectively.

Temperature:

I am using Arctic Silver 5. After 1/2 of operation, the CPU temperature is at 38 Celsius. This good or bad?

System:
DFI Lanparty Ultra-D NF4
Venice 3200+
Zalman 7700 ALCU
Arctic Silver 5

Thank you!! :D

I wouldn't know how to solve the problem with your fanmate, however 38C is a very good temperature and I honestly wouldn't concern yourself with that. I personally prefer using a rheobus when controlling fan speed, it's fairly straightforward and not much of a hassle, but to each his own.

edit - ah I just thought of something, the DFI has an option in the BIOS which controls the fan speed of fans connected to the CPU and chipset headers, you can set the temperature in which the fan spins at maximum speed. I think that may conflict with your fanmate and I'd suggest connecting the fan directly to your PSU anyways since it's not the best idea to use the motherboard headers for stability reasons

The CPU tempature is NOT 38 degrees. I have that exact motherboard, and for some reason, it always says 38 in the BIOS. It is probably much lower, use a program like smartguardian (on the DFI cd) to check in windows.

38 is pretty good, but on my comp, my case's temp probe reports 28-30 idle and around 37 full load (on stock), so that seems slightly high, but nothing to be worried about

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom