upgrading my pc: any suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would go with the OCZ Powerstream 520w. It is more than you will need, but it is one of the best 520w PSUs out there if not the best.

By spending more on a PSU now, it may still be able to handle a future GPU upgrade. Buying these cheap PSUs are always a bad idea, especially those case PSUs.

If it's too expensive, look into the OCZ Modstream 520w. It's a downgraded version, but it's still of amazing quality. It also has a good method of reducing excess cables inside the case.

DFI has those good boards for overclocking, but only if you know how to overclock. If you don't want to get into that territory, I would strongly suggest the motherboard I got. The MSI K8N Neo Platinum nForce4 is very reliable. Although its overclocking abilities aren't at top par compared to DFI, its overclocking is very easy to do. There is an SLI version also available.

get a dfi ultra-d mobo instead, oc's better than the msi. also, make sure you get a 6600gt, the one you picked is a regular 6600, which isn't nearly as good as a 6600gt. get a evga or leadtek 6600gt and make sure you get it in pci-e

jnev_89 said:
get a dfi ultra-d mobo instead, oc's better than the msi.

Yeah, that is assuming you know what your doing. The DFI boards are for extreme overclockers that know how. If you haven't have a clue what to do, you may end up destroying your hardware.

I would still insist on the MSI. It doesn't overclock incredibly far compared to the DFI, but it is a very user-friendly board where everything is simply made easy for you. You won't have difficulty doing anything with it.

@willjoe325
You could definitely run BF2 with that. I'm not sure how fast though. I have eVGA"s 6800 GT, and I can run 64 bots in single player. Note that that is 48 bots over the game's accepted stable limit, and I don't even notice the game decreasing in performance. A 6600 GT obviously will not get that degree of performance, but from what I hear, the 6600 GT is an extremely good value card. You may want to read reviews and see the difference in benchmarks between the two.

All of those parts, with the 6600 replaced with a 6600gt exceeds ur 500 dollar budget by approx $100

I think that your current psu would probably be enough to support what u r planning on running. I run a 3200+ and a 6600gt on a 380W PSU

Those specs would be able to run BF2 at a good mix of medium and high settings with a resolution of your choice.

I know someone who has the same setup except his graphics card is an ATI All-in-wonder 9800 pro (which is worse than the 6600gt) and he can do the settings I said above...the game looks beautiful with them too, btw. He has very little trouble with 64 players (online) the framerate drops are usually (if any) very small and rare occurances.

Personally, your setup is very good, imo, me being one of the people who doesn't want to bust their wallet either...:) I would still reccomend, as others had to make sure you have at least a gig of RAM, whether that means buying 512mb or a whole gig for you, i don't know. But, without the gig of RAM you may, or probably will not be able to run BF2 as I described earlier. I don't really know where BF2 came into this thread anyway, but I am just using it as an example. :cool:

Good luck with your system, I'd like to hear how it works out!

-RapIsHorrid

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom