My documents playing hide and seek

Status
Not open for further replies.

AnthraX

Daemon Poster
My documents for some strange reason isn't appearing in My Computer. The Shared documents are still there. I am running WinXP Pro, and I can't find any help on the web except from this site that i have to pay to find out how to solve it. Any help would be great. Thanks

Ok, maybe I should have explained a bit more. My documents are still on my computer, I can go there just fine from the desktop, start menu, and searching through my hard drive. BUT the only problem is the shortcut isnt in My Computer.

Windows XP doesn't have My documents under My computer. If you have a user name, it will come up with that name. If that isn't there either, check the side bar under other places; there should be a link to "My Documents"

This is a strange bug in Windows XP Pro but it can and does happen to everyone. When you open the My Computer screen and your Documents folder is missing but all the other users folders are there try this tweak.

STEP 1:

START > RUN > REGEDIT >

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE / Software / Microsoft / Windows / Current Version / Explorer / DocFolderPaths

Once you click the DocFolderPaths folder you should see all the user's folders.

STEP 2:

Add a new string value

Value Name: your user name

Value Data: the path to your docs folder ( ex. C:\Documents and Settings\your docs folder )

Exit Registry editor and open my computer, your docs folder should now be visable.

*Applaudes* Thank you very much. Now that you helped me fix this, do you know any reason why it did this?

Yeah.....maybe I should finally getting around to making a Linux box....yeah that'll be sweet. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom