I just built my first PC, for reference here are the specs:

Asus K8V-X motherboard
AMD Athlon 64 3200+ (socket 754)
Corsair ValueSelect 1GB RAM
Antec 430 watt PSU
ATI Radeon 9800 Pro
Western Digital 160GB SATA150
Sony DRU-710A DVD-RW

Here's my problem, upon first boot (before loading Windows), my screen has odd characters flickering in a couple of spots on my monitor, and when the boot sequence begins, most of the characters are replaced with nonsense flickering characters.

I loaded Windows, and all of my hardware is detected, however after installing the drivers for my video card (I tried from the CD, as well as the latest from ATI's website), I get a blank screen when loading up into windows. To get rid of this problem, I had to preform a system restore. After loading up from the restore I got an error message stating that the hardware rendering for my video card had been disabled, and it is using the software rendering instead.

As it sits right now, I get the flickering in the boot sequence that I mentioned, but it also appears in Windows within any animation or video, and most likely game. For example, while downloading files, there is a purple flickering background behind the download animation in the download bar.

Is there any solution to this? Maybe flashing my BIOS?

Flashing video card bios maybee. Something in your video card is messed up, and it's not a driver issue

That was my first assumption, that the card was bad. I have already requested an RMA from newegg, but wanted to see if there was anything else I could try before I send it out. It's a brand new card btw.

RMA would be your best bet. I hear manufactures nearly explode if they found out you even reflashed the BIOS. Glad to hear your not taking it out on newegg or the card, some people really get enraged when they get a DOA.

I just hope that it actually is the card, because if I get a new one that does the same thing.....:angry:

Got the replacement in today, and all is well with the new one:D

(huge sigh of relief)

guy you have a defected card. rma that thing to ati and theyll send you another one in two weeks with no hassle or no thing. stay on top.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom