Laptop video cards

Status
Not open for further replies.

poolio10

Beta member
Right now, it looks like I'm buying an Inspiron 9300 for college. These are the most likely specs:

Intel® Pentium® M Processor 740 (1.73 GHz/2MB Cache/533MHz FSB)
Microsoft® Windows® XP Home Edition
1GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 533MHz 2 Dimm
80GB Hard Drive

My question was regarding two things: I am a gamer. My current computer had an absolute top-of-the-line video card when I bought it two years ago, so I'm used to being able to play every game with very good settings. That being said, I'm not sure if I should shell out the money for the Geforce Go 6800. How significant an upgrade is it, over the ATI Mobility Radeon X300? Should I use the extra $100 or so to improve the RAM or processor speed instead, or is that good enough? Do either cards work as TV tuners?

Also, how important is an external laptop sound card. They seem real pricey...

The difference between a 6800 Go and X300 Mobility is a lot. It is the difference between playing a game low to a game high in simplistic terms. The X300 is a low entry PCI-E mobile GPU for laptops. The 6800 Go is among the best GPUs you can get in a notebook.

Go with the 6800. Get a soundcard if you want, but on a laptop, you won't really notice a difference. If you are a serious gamer, I suggest building a custom desktop!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom