Some sites don't seem to load...

Status
Not open for further replies.

freechus9

In Runtime
I have no idea why, but some websites refuse to load on my computer when they work on everyone elses. For awhile now, www.google.com never loads on my computer, and yahoo search doesnt work either although the yahoo page does. And just recently, my band website www.thebreakin.com has stopped loading too. I've run AdAware and I have PC Cillin 2000 live monitor running, constantly updated, so I dont think its a virus. Any ideas?

Is it possible for you to try another web-browser?
If youre using IE try Mozilla.

If it works then it sums it down to being a mis-configuration in IE (But not sure how the settings could of changed, but on the right track atleast)

If another browser does not work then be glad I bumped this thread for yoy lol

I tried other browsers, and nothing's working :(. Other sites are working fine, and AIM works too. Just those few sites arent working! ARGH

Nope nothing. I talked to a friend and he said that he had the same problem by reinstalling Windows XP...is there a way to reinstall Windows without erasing everything on my harddrive??

No doubt it will fix the problem, but reinatalling maybe a little bit too dramatic for such a minor problem.
Hmmmm... who do you connect to the internet? Dialup, Cable etc?
Have you checked out Tools>Internet Options> Security and Privacy tabs?

Are you sure youre not running XP's built in firewall?

Nope..no XP firewalls...I use Comcast cable to connect. I might give them a call..see what they can do. And the privacy tabs etc are fine. The thing is, it just stopped working one day...I didn't install anything and all of a sudden the sites wouldnt load. This "minor" problem is giving me major headaches.

BTW, thanks for everyone's help. I looked at the hosts file but no sites that I couldnt visit were in there. Is there some other file that I can check?

Browser Problems

I had a similiar problem with IE but mine was with that the window wouldent open when I clicked on a hyperlink.There is a program out there that will let you reinstall or repair the browser off of your windows disk it is called WINXP Manager and you can get a preview copy here. Hope it helps.
http://www.winxp-manager.com/

I've tried that just now..and nothing works. An interesting thing though...my friend has the same exact problem..and it started just as randomly as mine. His problem started yesterday..maybe there is a virus or spyware that is doing this that isn't detected yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom