My New Comp Neeeds Help Pls

Status
Not open for further replies.

slcibk

Solid State Member
I recently built a new rig and am experiencing noticeable slowdowns while playing games (Half-Life 2, FarCry, even Painkiller) although my 3dmark05 score was over 6,000. I would like to know if my problem could be anything other than my video card or if ati just sucks and I need a 7800 gtx. I have a 19'' LCD monitor with 8ms, but I still received slowdowns when i switched to a CRT. Please help.

My specs are:

2X1Gb geil DDR 400
535W Enermax PS
320 GB SATA WD HD
K8n sli neo4 pe motherboard
x850xt pe video card
athlon 3700+

Alright, you're going to be slow on farcry jsut because of you having an ATI card, nothing you can do there, its optimized for nVidia.

But it sounds like it is more then it should be... I would start by reinstalling all ur chipset drivers, followed by the latest ATI drivers. From there we can greater assess the problem.

Wow, nice computer. Very nice. I'm jealous of you. (I still have PCI card, my mobo doesn't support AGP)

Anyway, could it be too much RAM? I have heard that it could slow down performance, but that could be wrong. (I'm not too computer savvy, well, at least not as much as everyone on here.)

I'm sure I'm wrong though. That still shouldn't affect performance, and if it did for some reason, it'd be minimal.

Even if FarCry is optimized for nVidia, that would be ridiculous for an x850 XT PE to slow down. If anything, it should be much faster than a 6800 GT for example. Your video card is great; it's more than enough for current games. There is no need for a 7800 GTX.

I don't think there is a such thing as "too much RAM" that it will slow down your performance, at least I haven't heard of that. If that's true, a link please.

By slowdowns I'm assuming you mean like framerate decrease, correct? If so, how low does the FPS get and what can you average it at? What quality settings are you running these games at? What anti-aliasing & filtering settings do you have?

If you're running AAx8 & AFx16 @ 1600 x 1200, you will obviously notice a huge fps decrease. That honestly is overkill. GPUs aren't that advanced "yet".

Ok, I just ran a few tests with FRAPS.
My first game was Painkiller. I ran mulitple tests with the low staying around 7, and as bad as 4, with a high usually above 200 and an average of 150 or so. I had charachter shadows diabled and was using bilinear texture quality, with everything else maxed out.
My second game was HL2. I ran multiple tests again with the low being 0, 13, and 14, and maxes around 170 and averages around 100. I had no antialiasing and trilinear filtering, everything esle maxed out. I'm using 1280x1024 with both games.
I captured some video of my playing and it really speaks for itself. If there is any way to post it or send any of you a copy, pls let me know. I really don't want to send this card back but I can't handle the drops in FPS. I've run mulitple diagnositcs on the comp and nothing seems to be wrong, temps seems to be fine as well.

How long do these FPS drops last for?

I think seeing the videos may really answer a lot of questions. But there is no way on earth you will be able to send one of them without it taking over a year.

Can you perhaps encode it into DivX and email it to me @ cmobarek@calzinger.net ? I should only need about a minute of it. Use the Windows Media codec (wmv) with a video bitrate of 200 should produce small file sizes with good quality.

Thanks to everyone but i seemed to solve the problem. I reinstalled all the drivers and also disabled VSYNC in OpenGl and Direct3d. Afterwards, my FPS jumped and never dropped below 30 or so. Thanks to everyone for their help.

I'd suggest turning vertical sync back on. It's a waste of resources to pump out extra frames that your monitor can't even handle.

Some people will tell you to turn it off so you get some ridiculous fps in the hundreds. Your monitor can't display that high, and your eye can barely see past 40 or 50 ro something.

Actually contrary to Calzinger's post you can notice a difference with VSync on and off. I'm used to playing without VSync and I can notice the difference between when its off or on. VSync caps your FPS to 72 (if I remember correctly) to protect older/less powerful monitors from messing up but in todays market the majority of monitors can handle high FPS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom