New RAM - cant boot PC - urgent

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have memtest86 but i cant use it because when i turn it on, the monitor doesnt come on. with those 2 new sticks anyway.

Oh by the way, incase it helps, the pc beeps with some combinations of the new ram.
Also the pc doesnt boot to bios with no ram at all in it.

All the beep codes mean something...

But you should also get a verbal error if you plug speakers into the intergrated sound

when i first got my ram it was overclocking detected. i fixed that with my old ram by setting my FSB to 200mhz isntead of 206mhz.

anotherasususer.jpg

FROM GOOGLE (you should use it, it is your friend):

:: AMI BIOS Beep/Error Codes & OCF Troubleshooting guides::

This is a very generic AMI BIOS code list. Look at the A8V Manual if there are any conflicts with this. I have never gotten any of these errors except the 1 beep

1 beep : Refresh failure

2 beeps : Parity error

3 beeps : Base 64K memory failure

4 beeps : Timer not operational

5 beeps : Processor error

6 beeps : 8042 - gate A20 failure

7 beeps : Processor exception interrupt error

8 beeps : Display memory read/write failure

9 beeps : ROM checksum error

10 beeps : CMOS shutdown register read/write error

11 beeps : Cache memory bad

-For persistant 1 beep, 2 beeps, or 3 beeps try reseating the memory first. If the error still occurs, replace the memory with known good chips.

-For 4 beeps, 5 beeps, 7 beeps, or 10 beeps the system board must be sent in for repair.

-For 6 beeps try reseating the keyboard controller chip. If the error still occurs, replace the keyboard chip. If the error persists, check parts of the system relating to the keyboard, e.g. try another keyboard, check to see if the system has a keyboard fuse.

-8 beeps indicates a memory error on the video adapter. Replace the video card or the memory on the video card.

-9 beeps indicates faulty BIOS chip(s). It is not likely that this error can be corrected by reseating the chips. Consult the motherboard supplier or an AMI product distributor for replacement part(s).

-If no beeps are heard and no display is on the screen, The first thing to check is the power supply. Connect a LED to the POWER LED connection on the motherboard (The LED could go bad!). If this LED lights and the drive(s) spin up then the power supply will usually be good. Next, inspect the motherboard for loose components. A loose or missing CPU, BIOS chip, Crystal Oscillator, or Chipset chip will cause the motherboard not to function.Next, eliminate the possibility of interference by a bad or improperly set up I/O card by removing all cards except the video adapter. The system should at least power up and wait for a drive time-out. Insert the cards back into the system one at a time until the problem happens again. When the system does nothing, the problem will be with the last expansion card that was put in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom