Keyboard dead! Is it SP2?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ever_thus

Baseband Member
A freind of mine installed WinXP (Home) Service Pack 2 on his computer. Very shortly, the keyboard would not work when logged onto the internet, then whenever Outlook was open and now will not work at all.

Is SP2 the problem? If so how can he uninstall it? If not what could it be? Please help.

hmmm Service Pack 2 DOES cause problems....havent heard of any keyboard related ones.....in any case, if you do wish to uninstall SP2 i believe you just go to Start > Control Panel > Add Or Remove Programs and find SP2 there and uninstall

sounds like a virus if it only starts when your browser or outlook is opened and the keyboard stops responding.Does it stop at other times?I don't think he can uninstall sp2 if it was installed with windows.

It's definantly SP2 again when I was a windows user, I had the same problem. IF SP2 came with the computer I don't think there's a way to uninstall it. But if you put SP2 after you installed the software you can install it by simply a restore, or possibly add and remove programs.

tankhead02

Only install SP2 as an upgrade if you just reloaded the O/S otherwise it can cause issues. I have not run into a problem with SP2 if dont this way.

I have had no issues with SP2 on over 150 of our networked computers nor my home computer. I would try another known working keyboard and see if that works if not then you know it is something with the OS. Maybe SP2 caused the keyboard to get a virus.

I couldn't find a restore point before the SP2 installation, so I removed itfrom the "add-remove programs" applet. But the keyboard still doesn't work. I'm starting to doubt it's SP2 since it doesn't work even before the operating system loads. (I tried using F2 to enter BIOS.)

I can't try another keyboard as I don't have a separate keyboard availabe (my own is on a laptop).

is it a ps/2 keyboard if it is try a usb.Do a virus scan I am thinking virus do a scan and see what comes up.

Win2kpatcher said:
I have had no issues with SP2 on over 150 of our networked computers nor my home computer. I would try another known working keyboard and see if that works if not then you know it is something with the OS. Maybe SP2 caused the keyboard to get a virus.

Lol @ SP2 causing keyboard to get virus

SP2 is great, only thing is that if you put it overtop of a windows installation it can screw stuff up.

Also, can you get into your BIOS with your keyboard?

Try unpluging the keyboard then pluging it back in. (Aparently this bug is a security feature)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom