Installing Thermistors

Status
Not open for further replies.

GenuineXP

Solid State Member
Hi! I'm new to this forum but discovered it while trying to solve my dilemma.

I just purchased some new components for a system I'm building. I'm not new to the inside of a computer, but my chassis, the MGE Quantum, is equiped with a fan controller that also measures system temperatures.

The case came with three different thermistors; one for the HDD, one for the system, and one for the CPU. The problem is, I don't know where or how I should mount them! Each thermistor is a small cable with a flat plastic encasement on the end that houses a tiny thermistor.

Here's the really tough one. My new system is equiped with an AMD Athlon 64 3200+. How in the world do I mount my CPU thermistor to get accurate readings!? I can't possibly position it directly under the chip and I'm not so sure that squeezing it between the processor and heatsink is wise.

I would greatly appreciate any assistance with this matter. Thanks in advance!

...for now, my fan controller won't be reading any temperatures! Haha!

The closest you can get it would be on the heatsink (on the side or somewhere that it will fit) putting it inpetween the heatsink, would fry the CPU, due to there won't be good contact with the CPU and heatsink. and under the cpu you will bend the pins.

But, they are better put else where, like have one for outside temperature, as there is already a temperature sensor for the CPU, which requires some software to be read (speedfan, everst, the bios or software that came with the mobo.)

That's what I thought. It would be nice to see the "real" CPU temp. on the chassis' front display though. :)

Thanks for the help, Trifid! But what about my other two thermistors? Where should I place the system thermistor and how shoud I mount the hard disk drive thermistor? I noticed a small opening where I could fit the thermistor into my primary hard drive. In fact, I placed it there before, but I removed it before I turned the computer on. Maybe that would be a good place.

As for the system thermistor... well, I thought it should be placed somewhere against the motherboard. Each thermistor is insulated, of course, so it didn't seem like that would be a problem.

Thanks again!

I have one for the hard drive, I stuck it on the top casing of the drive. The system one can just be left loose inside to measure the air temperature.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom