Got all my parts, starting my build

Status
Not open for further replies.

Him

Fully Optimized
Hell yeah, i just got the last of my water cooling peices in yesterday, it was a damn bounty of them, it was like christmas. I gotta tell ya, the TDX block with the lucite top looks SUPER sexy! The lucit is nice and clear and flawless, and you can see the nice shiny copper (SHINY OBJECTS!!!) on the block itself, it's nice. My pump, the Aqua Xtreme 50Z is nice and heavy, with a coool 10.2 head feet feeding over 1/2" tubing. My fillport is cool. I wanted a black on, but they only had Blue ones in stock, and they only had blue pumps in stock, so I got them both blue, I'll have a small black and blue motif going on. I'm thinking about a cathode, not sure. I dont think I want my shit glowing like that, I may just want it nice and subtle. I have all brandnew parts, except for my case and the memory and the processor. But I finished buying parts and I have more money than I thought I did. So i';m going to wait a few weeks, see how the money situation is looking, and I may buy the G Skill LA's. I'm really excited, cannot wait to put this thing together.

I dont have a waterblock for my GPU yet, I was still deciding whether or not I wanted to cool that. I just decided, right now, that I need one and I'm going to order one. right now.

I am going to make a little guide when I build my computer, showing step by step, with pictures, on how to build a computer. That will make it easier for all the n00bs who come in asking how to build a computer, and it will be easier for us to explain it to them.

I don't do watercooling.. but I've heard numerous people say not to cool your GPU as it hinders the cooling of the entire system instead of really helping it that much.
Just something to think about.

smileygladhands said:
I don't do watercooling.. but I've heard numerous people say not to cool your GPU as it hinders the cooling of the entire system instead of really helping it that much.
Just something to think about.

I dont know about that. Granted, it is another point of restriction in the loop and a little bit more heat dump, but that heat will be dissapaited before it hits the CPU, in the radiator. The GPU block is after the CPU, so any heat expended into the loop from the GPU will hit the rad and cool down before it is needed to cool again. You video card plays a hugely imporant role in the power of your computer. It has a central processor, and just like a CPU, the cooler it is the better it runs.

You may be right though, I dont think so though. I think it is extremely beneficial to cool the gpu.

You're thinking of a chipset, which doesn't even get hot enough to warrant needing water anyways.

Him is right though, the way the loop should be configured, although the GPU technically does hinder the loop and dump more heat into it, it shouldn't have much of an impact and the GPU will get noticably cooler.

The loop should go through the CPU first, which should be around 40 or so, the GPU comes next, and can get as hot as 70-80. The 40 degree water still effectively carries the heat away and cools down the GPU. My 6800GT runs around 50 under full load.

Mind you, having the GPU first and CPU second may pose some problems since the GPU is a lot warmer than the CPU.

Not only that, but you want a colder CPU before you would want a colder GPU, and the GPU would dump hella heat onto the GPU.

Yes Smiley, I think Gaara is right, you must be thinking chipset cooling. That is pretty much a waste, allthough I imagine if your computer is hardcore overclocked, it certainly wouldnt hurt any.

Alright, I lied, I didnt get all my parts. But now I have them all! This time I'm not lying, I swear. :rolleyes: I just finished modding my heatercore, and I stipped down all the paint and it is brushed steel and looks cool. But it scratches really easily, and rusts as well. I didnt take that into account, so I may need to just suck it up and paint my case. But I really dont want to. How much do you think it would cost to get a powder coat job done on my case? I'll go over to wizdforums and ask there. Bill will help me out. :D

I'm still working on cutting and hacking my chassis so I can fit my heatercore and the ENORMOUS fans I have on it (2x 120mm, one on either side. They are steel, really heavy, and very thick. Should move alot of air). The hole I made to the fillport on the top of my case is a WEE big, so it looks somewhat unsightly. It fits in perfect, but when I center it best I can, there is a gap on either side of it. :angry: so I'm not sure what I'm going to do about that. Dont have an undo button on that one.

I speant quite a while modding my heatercore. JB Weld is an absolute godsend! You cannot braze on a heatercore (Unless you are Weapon :confused:) because the aluminum solder on it will melt before the brazing rods do, and your core will just fall apart in your hands. I also drilled a little too far into it, and put a hole on the other side :mad::angry: but JB Weld fixed that right up. A little JB Weld here, a little JB Weld there, badda bing badda boom I got a ffully working modded heatercore!

I'm going to look into powder coating. What are peoples input on painting plastic? I want to paint the front panel of my computer, and it's plastic. Obviously sand it down nicely, but primer, paint, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom