Overclocking

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Nick

In Runtime
Ive been on computers for awhile but just getting into the behind the scenes stuff and i am building a computer mostly for gaming. http://www.techist.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=59651
I have never ovoerclocked or done any serious research into overclocking and am wondering, when you overclock can you simply overclock one aspect such as the Processor or RAM or do you have to overclock everything together? I am planning on getting some value RAM so if you have to overclock everything i just won't do it cuz i think the comp should be just fine as is when finished:)

You overclock memory and CPU at same time

However you can underclock the memory, than overclock all of it, to get a faster CPU with the origional memory speed

Will i be able to OC the processor with the value RAM I'm getting (I really don't think im going to do any major OCing maybe just a little if the Value Ram doesn't affect much:eek: )

You just change the FSB - It gives more bandwidth to your memory when you overclock your processor
Not really....if you raise your FSB to 300 but your RAM stays at 200, stock PC3200 settings, you really aren't going to see a tremendous bandwidth gain at all.....not like you would of course barely raising the RAM up, but if he's getting valueRAM that's not too much of an option.

Will i be able to OC the processor with the value RAM I'm getting (I really don't think im going to do any major OCing maybe just a little if the Value Ram doesn't affect much )

You need to put your specs in your sig, otherwise how are we going to know what CPU and mobo you plan on overclocking with.

You put the RAM below 200MHz then when you raise your CPU beyond 200MHz the RAM will start to rise getting back to it's original stock 200MHz speeds....then you've OC'd the CPU but not the RAM

Pointless to do on a socket A system

Processor AMD Athlon 64 3800+ Venice Integrated into Chip FSB 512KB L2 Cache Socket 939 Processor
$366.00
G Card eVGA 256-P2-N376-AX Geforce 6800GT 256MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card
$345.00
Mobo DFI LANPARTY UT nF4 Ultra-D Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 Ultra ATX AMD Motherboard
$135.00
RAM OCZ Gold Series 1GB (2 x 512MB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM Unbuffered DDR 400 (PC 3200) Dual Channel Kit System Memory
$79.99
Case ASPIRE X-Navigator ATXA9NW-AL/450 Black/Silver Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case 450W Power Supply
$90.00
HDD Western Digital Caviar SE WD400JD 40GB 7200 RPM 8MB Cache Serial ATA150 Hard Drive
$56.00
Total$1,071.99

This is my build list so far any coments/suggestions would be appreciated:)

in ur specs that aint no value ram thats some pretty good Ocing ram, u can go pretty far with that.

OOPS:p wrong one

RAM-CORSAIR ValueSelect 1GB (2 x 512MB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM Unbuffered DDR 400 (PC 3200) Dual Channel Kit System Memory

Thats the real RAM im getting

SOrry:p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom