Windows 2000 Discontinued

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tyler1989 said:
I'm not sure what you are talking about my friend. That is .net2.0 BETA will 2000 get the final verson NO. Also sure not all need it but many many programs do perhaps you are not aware that your programs use .

Please post a link verifying that .net 2.0 will not be for 2000 as well. The link is right there for you, don't deny it.
I do not have .net installed on my PC, again, it's not on my PC at all so please don't tell me that I don't know it's installed.

You don't know what you're talking about, so please stop spreading falsehoods. Norton products are compatible with XP, 2000, ME, and 98. Are you really trying to tell me that Microsoft is forcing Norton to lose 3/4 of their market potential?

It's beta, OMG it's beta!!! Please, Microsoft developed .Net 2.0 to work with multiple OS's including 98 & ME so they can drop all of them but XP and Longshit? Again, stop talking about things you do not know about.

It's plain in black and white with the link I provided, you can ignore it all you want but yet it still remains.

Also, do you want to show me where Norton writes their applications using .Net 2.0 and where it's required?

Norton Requirements

Bear in mind, I'm not calling you a liar, just misinformed.

tribalsun you are a funny funny person you have .net 1.0 installed at defualt if you use windows 2000 or XP. So what OS do you use I'm curious. And how do I know 2000 will not get it lets see this is a new product and 2000 was discontinued June 28th 2005. 3/4t how on earth does 2000 and 98 count as 3/4!

If you don't like "longshit" then you can stay with 2000 and rot I'll be laughing. Also Server 2003 is getting it not just XP. No one thought I was telling the truth when I argued 2000 was going to be discontinued and you all mocked me for it. Look a week later it was discontinued (maybe I pull microsofts strings j/k). So the same will happen and I'll be there laughing again when the time comes till then I'm done dealing with people who refuse to see the truth.

Tyler1989 said:
tribalsun you are a funny funny person you have .net 1.0 installed at defualt if you use windows 2000 or XP. So what OS do you use I'm curious. And how do I know 2000 will not get it lets see this is a new product and 2000 was discontinued June 28th 2005. 3/4t how on earth does 2000 and 98 count as 3/4!

If you don't like "longshit" then you can stay with 2000 and rot I'll be laughing. Also Server 2003 is getting it not just XP. No one thought I was telling the truth when I argued 2000 was going to be discontinued and you all mocked me for it. Look a week later it was discontinued (maybe I pull microsofts strings j/k). So the same will happen and I'll be there laughing again when the time comes till then I'm done dealing with people who refuse to see the truth.

tyler you are be so busy arguing, that you seem to be missing points, that some people are trying to make. Nobody doubted that they would stop supporting 2000. most of us knew that already. that wasn't news

but you said 2000 wasn't going to work anymore. that's is why everybody jumped on you.

you still ain't right about it. since they stopped support for 2000, you think that you are right again. wrong

here are the facts.
1.MS has stopped support for 2000
2.2000 still is a stable OS and will be for years to come.

they came out with net framework 1.1 a little over 2 years ago. however very few products support it now. drive image 7 and norton ghost 9 are the only ones that I can think of right now off the top of my head that won't install unless you have net 1.1 install.

you ain't even factor that part in, while you are so quick to say something that pisses other people of this forum off like windows 2000 is obsolete when it isn't

you are right with one point. however you are wrong with the rest

macdude425 said:
Why should we believe you? We have no evidence

You'd make a sucky lawyer "HAHA!! My client is not guilty! I know this because the last one was, and he told me!"
I couldn't agree with you more you have no evidence:p .

You will see when the time comes.

Windows 2000 is certainly getting long in the tooth but to say it wonÂ’t be able to use any new software written after 2006 sounds a bit off. I my self found Windows 2000 to be a great OS in its day but now I find it to be more hassle than itÂ’s worth. Windows XP in my opinion is much better. For me it keeps my Athlons running faster and more reliable. IÂ’ve only had Windows XP ever crash on me 3 times compared to the countless times other versions have. However I think it might just be the software that I install on my machines. My friend uses 2000 on all his machines except his P4 and swears by it. In his case XP is slow, the new look is ugly and it crashes.

Who didnt believe you that Win2k was being discontinued? Any true technician should have know about this LONG ago and started an upgrade plan for there env. We are making the final transitions of getting the remaining PC's running Windows 2000 upgraded to XP w/SP2 in our env. Out with the old in with the new I say.

Our policy is very strict here at work and we MUST keep up to date meaning we can't have any PC's that will no longer recieve updates in our env. Even though they will offer extended support for 2k I still want all our machines running XP as it has WAY more policies you can tweak than 2k. There are MANY advantages to XP over win2k maybe not for a home user, but in the work/corp world it makes life WAY easier.

IMO 2k is a great advance over XP except in the media department (but that's more than obvious and to be expected since either techies at home or servers are running it, of course). 2k3 is an excellent alternative to XP in almost every way. Too bad it's so damned expensive, not to mention too "advanced" for the standard home user.

MS ditching 2k like this is definitely wrong.

There are two important events that will happen to the support policy for Windows 2000 after June 30th of this year.

First, support for both IE 5.01 SP3 and IE 6 SP1 on Windows 2000 SP3 will expire. Users running IE 5.01 or IE 6 SP1 on Windows 2000 should upgrade to Windows 2000 SP4 in order to continue to receive security updates.

Second, Windows 2000 SP4 moves from mainstream to extended support. The key difference between mainstream support and extended support which I think is most relevant to this audience is this quote from the lifecycle site: "Microsoft will not accept requests for warranty support, design changes, or new features during the Extended support phase." We will of course continue to keep our Windows 2000 SP4 customers secure with security updates through the life of Windows 2000 (through 2010). There are a few other differences between the two support models which you can read about at the lifecycle site. You may also want to read my previous post about WindowsÂ’ lifecycle.

It should be no surprise that we do not plan on releasing IE7 for Windows 2000. One reason is where we are in the Windows 2000 lifecycle. Another is that some of the security work in IE7 relies on operating system functionality in XPSP2 that is non-trivial to port back to Windows 2000.

Please note that these lifecycle changes are only for IE on Windows 2000. For questions about other versions of IE (IE for PocketPC, IE for Mac), please consult the lifecycle site for the latest expiration dates.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom