Quick Fan Controller Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

haGGard

In Runtime
Hi,

I have a Vantec Nexus Fan controller (NXP-305-BK)

It has 3 fan channels and one cold cathode channel. It says in the instructions "Use only one fan per channel. Do not exceed more that 18W per channel"

Why is this? If one fan only uses about 1.2 watts, why cant i have two fans on one channel?

It's probably something that they tried during testing. They do these things so that you don't have to destroy their product when trying to figure it out on your own :D.

BTW isn't there only enough conectors for one fan in each channel?

I would just stick to what they tell you, isn't that where the manufacturer expertises; their own product.

Yeah but would it hurt it to just connect 2 fans up in series and then connect it up to the channel. Its still no where near exceeding the maximum wattage...

meh, it's a contradictory statement, but beyond that for safety...no doubt they've gotten "MEH I CONNECT 8 FANS AND IT BLEW UP' kind of e-mails....

You can connect more than 1 fan per channel, simply do as they say and make sure it doesn't exceed that 18w and you'll be fine....my controller has a limit of 20w...and each of my two 120mms on top for my heatercore are like 10.6w each (that's 21.2 for the mathematically challenged ;) )

I just never run them full blast, but even when I do the little heatsink in the card doesn't get hot, but I wouldn't suggest doing that full blast for long term purposes

Cool. Yeah i thought it was a safety measure like you said to stop kids plugging in 8 fans and melting it. Im only intending to hook up a maximum of 3 fans on one single channel anyway...

Also it says do not use on adjustable speed fans yet it comes with a 3 pin connection for these adjustable fans. I'm guessing they can be used as well then?

I'm guessing it means the ones that have a seperate knob attached to the fan for adjusting fan speeds, like the thermaltake bigwater fans or the jet engine style fans on that Coolermaster cooler and whatnot....in that case I generally cut that wire off and hook it to the fan controller anyway :p

basically use one or the other I guess, not both trying to adjust the fan because it's adjusting voltage and god knows what'll happen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom